strangers in the dark | m. tkachuk

Summary: after some heartbreak, Y/N heads to the bar to make herself feel better, little did she know that Matthew had the same idea.

Requested: no

The glitter of star lights flickered overhead, an ambience sound of clinking glasses and clashing cutlery filled the room. Tones of brown and beige were accompanied by golden lights, radiating down from crystal chandeliers that clung to the ceiling for dear life. Class and Luxury oozed from every corner of the dining room.

Whispers from the wealthy and stares from the sophisticated made Y/N feel like she was drowning. This was never her scene. In her twenty one years of living, she had only ever been in a restaurant like this once. It was the night that she had become engaged.

Now sitting in the less than familiar dining room once more, she felt like she was suffocating, the air was barely reaching her lungs as she stared ahead.

"You're breaking up with me?"

In front of her, a man offered her a nervous smile. His blonde hair was combed back perfectly and his round glasses complimented his chiseled jaw. He wore a navy coloured suit that Y/N had once looked at in adoration, but now, as she stared into the deep ocean hue, she found herself transfixed, suddenly focused on every strand of thread that ran along the lapel. She needed something to block out what her fiance was saying.

"Y/N are you listening to me?" his voice was too smooth for her liking, he was too calm for this.

Matching his gaze with disgust, the woman glared. "Who is she?" Y/N asked, her voice torn raw.

Noticeably faltering, the man cleared his throat- trying to play dumb. But Y/N wasn't about to let it go that easily.

"No Ryan- Tell me. Who is she? Because I know damn well that you're not going to throw away a four year relationship out of the blew." she whimpered, she wanted to do her best to remain calm, she couldn't let Ryan see her cry like this- it wasn't fair, he had taken everything from her, she needed to keep her dignity if nothing else. Swallowing harshly,

Ryan sighed. "Her name is Paige." he spoke hesitantly, the air leaving his chest was raw and rushed, he was guilty and he knew that there was no turning back.

That was all Y/N needed to hear.

Slapping her Napkin down against the table, she didn't care about holding her composure anymore. If she could embarrass Ryan on the way out just a little bit, then it would make her feel better. Taking off the diamond ring, she stared at him. "You know what? I hope you two make a lovely couple. You fucking cheat." She growled, smacking the ring into his chest as she stomped off, her heels clicking against the ground- echoing throughout her departure.

It was hard to tell exactly how many shots Y/N had gone through since arriving at merlots. After her exit from the restaurant, she had headed straight to her comfort spot.

A little cozy sports bar in downtown Calgary. It was dingy and too warm, but it was familiar. And in this time of uncertainty that was exactly what she needed. The dress that hugged her frame was far too tight for her liking, the heels on her feet were killing her and the makeup on her eyes felt like sludge. She got dressed up for Ryan and all he got for her was a breakup speech. One that she had neglected to listen to, but she had heard enough as soon as she found out that he was seeing someone else.

"Rough night?" A voice asked from beside her. Glancing to her left, Y/N was met with a head of curls and an apologetic smile.

"You don't even know the half of it." Y/N grumbled, slumping against the bar and pulling her glass to her lips, pouting upon realization that it was empty.