better things | m. tkachuk

Summary: Matthew cheated on Y/N and she left him in the dust, the two cross paths eight-months later at a charity event.

(Mentions Connor McDavid x Reader)

Requested: Yes

Y/N was not the type of girl to be someone's second choice. When she put herself into a relationship, she expected her boyfriend to be fully involved and devoted to her.

In return she did the same for him. Now that didn't mean that he had to worship her, or that she would praise him- but it did mean that there was a base level of respect expected from both parties. The night that Y/N walked in on Matthew with another girl was one she would never forget, his mouth against her skin- hands tangled into her hair, gripping her hips and leaving bruises that you so deliciously remembered having against your own.

The woman could picture everything vividly as if it was yesterday- still being able to hear to mix of both of their moans echoing against the bedroom walls. He was fucking her and you had to watch. Before he even noticed that she was there, she had spun on her heel with tears raising to hrr eyes, Y/N grabbed her bag and car keys and slammed the bedroom door behind her as she went-

However, she didn't get very far before a familiar head of curls was chasing after her, pulling his boxers up his legs as he chased after his then girlfriend. "Y/N! Wait!" he called out- panic lacing his voice as he stopped her at the apartment elevator. "Dont touch me!" she spat in disgust, his hands against her arm practically burning. He pulled away and stopped the doors from closing.

"Please Its not what it looks like-" he tried to protest. But even he knew that his excuse was shitty.

Shaking her head, the girl glared hotly at him. "I want you out of my apartment tonight- dont ever fucking talk to me again." she pushed him away from the door and watched as his figure disappeared behind the doors.

That was eight (8) months ago- the memory was still fresh in her mind and Matthew had respected her wishes, he was gone before she got back and although he tried many times to call her and text her, she had refused to answer- not even looking at the messages. But nothing could prepare her for bumping into him at an event for the nhl charity game.

The girl had finally started to move on and when a recent fling asked if she would accompany him as his date, she couldn't say no. The two had been going a few dates here and there and had only recently moved to the point of being exclusive.

Hanging onto Connor's arm, wearing a beautiful red dress that made her body look amazing, her hair was curled a few inches shorter since the last time she saw Matthew- Excusing herself to grab a drink at the bar, Connor made his way towards a couple of other guys at the table. It hadn't even been five minutes before the woman felt a presence behind her.

"You look stunning." his low voice startled her, not even daring to look him in the eye as he slid into the spot next to her, Y/N gulped. "What do you want Matthew?" she hated using his full name, but there was no way she would resort to pet names after what he had done to her.

"You... I know i fucked up Y/N but please let me fix things- ive been miserable without you and i cant live without you..." he begged, reaching out and touching her arm, she expected a jolt to electrify her- but all she felt was disgust.

"You didn't need me when you brought another woman into my bedroom... Fucked her on my mattress." she spat at him. Looking at her desperately, Matthew shook his head- moving closer which caught the attention of Connor and a couple of the other oilers whom were attending the event.

They walked over before Y/N could say another word- Connor lacing his arm around his date's waist. "Is there a problem here babe?" he asked- glaring down at the man who was now standing up straight. Matthew was bitter as he looked between his ex and her new boyfriend. "You two are together now?" he spoke sarcastically.

Connor narrowed his eyes. "Yeah we are... That means its time for you to go." he glared- they were already rivals because of hockey, but not Matthew was the guy who had broken y/n's heart and Connor was the man who wanted to ensure that never happened again.

Taking the hint, Matthew stormed off- holding his broken heart in his hands as he headed out.

"You alright?" Connor leaned down and whispered in the girl's ear. He was ready to leave that event in a moment's notice if the girl wanted to get out of there.

Looking up at him and nodding softly, she caught the attention of the bartender and ordered the next round of drinks. "Im okay... Thank you." she pecked the underside of his jaw.