in laws | n. mackinnon

Summary: Nathan has two very important women in his life, And now it's time for them to meet.

Nathan was a very simple man. He liked to keep his circle of friends small and close knit. His bond with his family was so strong that he often got teased about it in the locker room, but he could care less. His family was his entire world and the fact that they supported him through his hockey career was amazing.

To see all his little cousins wearing his name on his back was amazing. He loved seeing kids with his jersey because he used to be them at one point. Whenever he was home, he made time to take the kids out to the rink and teach them a bunch of skills. If he was lucky, one fo them would actually pick up a love for hockey like he did.

But nothing compared to seeing Y/N in his jersey. His girlfriend of almost a year had become his rock. She went to every game that she was available and was always there to support him. She had grown to be apart of his family and his new home.

When Y/N got into a relationship with Nathan, she knew that there would be lots of obstacles. The press was an issue because everyone wanted to know who he was dating, the fans were a smaller issue because both Y/N and Nathan knew that they meant well, but meeting his family was by far the biggest challenge of them all- at least for her.

Nathan worshipped the ground that his parent's walked on, and while there was nothing wrong with that, it certainly gave his girlfriend new forms of anxiety. What if they didn't like? Would he be willing to throw their relationship away just because mommy didn't love her?

Standing in front entrance of her apartment, Y/N was staring down at her phone, a furrow stuck in her brow and a frown on her lips. She could hear Nathan getting dressed in her bedroom, having stayed overnight so it made driving to the airport easier that morning. They decided to share a suitcase for the trip and Y/N was slightly regretting it.

If something happened and she wanted to come home early, she would have to buy a new one or leave her things with Nathan, which would make his parents hate her even more.

Now of course, Y/N didn't actually know if Nathan's parent's disliked her.

She was merely speculating based off of fear and stories Nathan had told her. From what he said they were perfect and kind and amazing. All these little things causing the girl to raise them up on a pedestal and feel as though she wasn't Worth it.

"You know, people say if you frown all the time you'll get wrinkles faster." Nathan's voice carried through the apartment as he walked out of the bedroom and down the hall. He was wearing a pair of slacks and dress pants- a plain brows sweater and an overcoat was his travel attire. His girlfriend was pretty similar, a pair of jeans and her dress boots that had the tiniest heel on them- an overcoat matching the one Nathan was wearing.

This was something she would have never picked out for the roughly six hour flight they had ahead of them. But she wanted to impress his parents when they picked them up from the airport, and if that meant being uncomfortable for a few hours, so be it.

Glancing up at Nathan with a sheepish smile, the girl nodded softly and did her best to put on a happier expression. "Sorry- Im just.. nervous." she admitted, this was nothing new- she had been talking about her discomfort towards meeting his parents for the last few days leading up to the trip, but Nathan really wanted this to happen. He had a week of time off and instead of going to Cabo or Hawaii like many of his fellow hockey players, he wanted to go home and spend time with his family.

His chuckle softened the fears the girl had, his arm wrapping around her and giving her peck against the top of her head as he looked down at her phone- suddenly his giggles became louder and he took the device into his hands. "Are you really googling 'how to impress boyfriend's parents'?" He chuckled, cheeks turning red as he started to get worked up.