a little bit of christmas | v. dunn

Y/N isn't exactly feeling the Christmas spirit due to all the covid blues, so Vince does his very best to give her some holiday cheer.

Warnings: sadness, homesickness, covid blues.

——

It was obvious that this Christmas was not going to be normal. The last year had been anything of the sort. With cities all around the country- and the world at that, placing restrictions every week- It was hard to feel the Christmas spirit.

Y/N was apart of one of the many families that had been impacted by covid. While her family had remained covid free, thankfully- the restrictions had implicated her employment quite terribly. Due to the loss of jobs, her mum and dad had to leave their house- meaning that they moved all the way across the country with y/n's aunt. Y/N had been given an offer to go with them, her brother too- but they both decided to go their separate ways.

At the time it felt like a good idea- y/n's brother was moving in with his long time girlfriend- and y/n's boyfriends Vince had offered her to move in with him in Toronto.

It was a major step in their relationship. But Y/N was ready to take it. She had no hesitations about moving in with Vince- but the fact that she couldn't see her family whenever she wanted that was heartbreaking.

"Babe- it's gonna be okay." A voice sounded in her ears- knocking her out of her daydream as she went through the pictures of her and her brother from her birthday a couple of years ago. He had taken her to see the newest movies and for dinner. It was simple but considering they never had time to be together, Y/N Cherished the memory.

Looking up from the photo, the woman had tears in her eyes. "I know I know I just" she paused, as her throat became tight- she didn't want to cause a scene.

Walking over from his desk, Vince pouted. He set his headphones down and wrapped her in his arms. "You just miss them- and that's completely fair." He promised her.

Things hadn't been easy this year, just because they put up a tree and got each other a few presents didn't mean that they were suddenly in the Christmas spirit.

Breathing his scent, Y/N felt herself relax a little bit. The year had been really hard on her- everyday she thought of her parents and her brother, just like Vince thought about his family. It was easy to dwell on the negativity and get lost in it- while Vince still had his endorsements and his streams, Y/N had been through about ten different hobbies from knitting to working out and nothing was holding her interest.

"I know it's been tough on you too- I'm sorry." Y/N apologized, it wasn't like she wanted to ruin his Christmas.

Vince grinned. "It has- but you've been helping me a lot more than you realize."

They turned on some tunes and danced around the apartment a bit- finishing the Christmas cookies that Y/N had baked earlier that day, before putting together a gingerbread house.

Against Y/N's wishes, Vince was determined to decorate it with St,Louis colours- as if the various blue and yellow ornements on the tree weren't enough- or vince's very own St. Louis blues themed stocking with his numbers embroidered on the front of it.

Under the tree were various presents that the two had gotten for each other, they promised that they wouldn't go big- but of course neither of them were able to keep said promise. Vince had a very special box hidden under the tree that Y/N would have to open last.

Trying her best, Y/N had bought Vince a few sweaters and some more games for him to okay on his streams. He got some candy of course and then a few things for around the house. It was the best she could do without being able to really go out and shop at the stores.

"So are you ready for a very strange but loving Christmas?" Vince asked softly- dragging Y/N towards the tree and sitting her down on the couch.

Rolling her eyes, Y/N smiled, nodding nonetheless. "Alright Santa- show me what you got."

"Anything for you mrs.clause." Although the pair weren't married- Y/N was enjoying their rather domestic life and she knew that it was selfish to wish it never ended.

The pair still had yet to discuss whether or not Y/N would be staying in Toronto when Vince went back to playing hockey- or if she would travel with him to St.Louis. The company she worked for had closed out its store in the midst of the pandemic so she would have to find new employment no matter where she resided.

But that was a discussion for another time.

Chuckling, Y/N kissed his cheek. She brushed her hair out of her face and lead him to the couch where they turned on their electric fireplace.

With the Christmas lights fluttering around them and the warm heat spreading through the apartment, Y/N felt a lot better.

"Thank you for everything Vince- merry Christmas." She held him close and cuddled into his chest.

Vince kissed the top of her heart and smiled. "Merry Christmas babygirl."

He started handing her some presents as she did the same to him. Amongst new watches, sweaters, and a jersey with vince's last name on it for Y/N - which received a playful shove- there was only one box left.

"What's this?" Y/N asked as Vince handed her the golden wrapped box.

"Open it and find out." He giggled excitedly.

Grinning, Y/N took a deep breath and slowly unwrapped the gift. Her breath hitched abs immediately she felt tears come to her eyes.

"Vince..." she trailed off slowly.

Inside was a picture of her brother, her mom and dad and herself. They were celebrating her and vince's 1st anniversary in that picture. Which just so happened to be right around Christmas.

"The best Christmas miracle was getting her to say yes." Read the engraving on the frame.

Furrowing her brows, Y/N looked up to see Vince kneeling down in front of her. He was smiling nervously and there was a red velvet box in his hand.

Y/N's heart thumped in her chest and she lunged forward- wrapping her arms around him and smiling into his neck. "Yes..." she gulped. Pulling on his curls and dragging him into a sweet kiss. There was nothing more than she wanted to be his wife. Even though the world had gone to shit around them, she would follow him wherever he needed just how she knew he would do the same for her.

As Vince laid awake that night, he wrapped his arms around

Y/N's body, pulling her closer to his chest. His eyes trailed over the diamond rung that was on her finger, glinting and sparkling from the moonlight cascading in through the window above their balcony. It was stunning but he couldn't deny that Seeing Y/N wearing said ring instantly made the jewellery 100 percent more appealing.

His phone buzzed on the nightstand next to him and he moved slightly to grab it- not daring to wake up his fiance.

"Did you pop the question?" The text read- his mom knew about the proposal before his teammates did- in fact she had FaceTimed him and helped pick out the ring.

He smiled faintly at Y/N and took a picture of her hand wearing the ring.

"Best Christmas ever."