to break a heart | t. jost

Summary: Y/N has insecurities about her relationship skills, Tyson doesn't think thats a big deal

Requested: No

In order to break a heart, there were very strict rules that one must follow. At least that was what Y/N always thought. You could only do so if you really saw no chance with that person, you were in danger, or if you were protecting someone else. Never in her life did she imagine that she would be breaking someone's heart for any other reason.

But then came Tyson.

He was charming, kind and downright adorable- all things that Y/N had made an effort in avoiding. She wasn't looking to get caught up in a relationship, especially since she knew that if she didn't like the person but they were really nice to her, she wouldn't let herself get out of it.

For some reason, things were different with Tyson. Y/N genuinely enjoyed going on dates with him and by the time that she had passed her time limit of seeing guys for about three months before breaking it off, she was already head over heels for him. Something wasn't right. In Y/N's mind there was so reason as to why this man should be able to make her completely lose track of time. There should be no reason as to why he made her feel so happy when he was doing nothing special.

Something wasn't right.

So Y/N did what she always did. She locked herself up in her apartment and started Ignoring Tyson's calls. It was a terrible thing to do, but in all honesty- Y/N thought she was doing the right thing. She wasn't good at love, she wasn't good at relationships before this one, so she was just saving Tyson time right?

Wrong.

As soon as his somewhat 'girlfriend' had gone awol, he was a wreck. Immediately he thought that he had done something wrong and that she never wanted to see him again- however he was on the opposite of the spectrum. Everything that Tyson had done only made Y/N happy, and that scared her.

As a child, her mother had told her horror stories about men and dating, partially from personal experience but also to keep her teenage daughter from getting her heartbroken. That only caused the girl to think poorly of herself and judge every guy she met before they even talked. When she realized this, she started giving EVERYONE a chance, she became the nice sweet girl that would go on a date and didn't know how to say 'no'

That really backfired when it came to shitty dates. Still in the back of her mind, Y/N always had those lingering memories of horrible men that her mom had mentioned. Unfortunately that meant she was projecting onto Tyson and every other guy she went out with.

Tyson wasn't the type of person to just leave things alone, so even though there was a chance Y/N was mad at him, he made himself show up her apartment with flowers and dinner- ready to give her a good night in hopes of working things out. Even if he didn't exactly know what was going on.

Knocking three times upon the wooden door, there was a soft scuffling inside before heavy footsteps jogged up. Within a few seconds, Y/N was appearing on the other side- eyes widening at the sight of Tyson and almost loosing colour in her face. "Tyson?" She asked softly. She didn't expect him to show up but she really should have.

The man sighed softly and nodded. "Yeah I uh- can I come in?" He asked, a sheepish grin stretching upon his lips. It wasn't long before Y/N had looked down and stepped aside so that he could come in. Letting him enter her apartment, she felt a bundle of anxiety take form in her chest.

Rubbing her hands through hair, she looked around the apartment and cringed. "Sorry- I know its kind of messy.. I wasn't expecting anyone to come over today." She mumbled to him, instantly starting to clean up a few things here and there.

All the while, Y/N had been ignoring the rather obnoxious bouquet of flowers that were tucked under Tyson's arm. He had a bag of take-out and almost winced. She knew that he wanted to talk. "I guess you know why im here?" He asked softly, setting everything down on the kitchen counter.

The woman glanced up at him before nodding. Tyson I just don't think I can do this anymore... You're great and I love you- but im not good at relationships." She addressed him, immediately relief masked Tyson's face.

"What do you mean? We were going so well." He spoke nervously, grabbing her hands and pulling her close. The girl tensed and took a second to collect her thoughts.

"This is too easy, Ive never been with someone as nice as you and I don't think im worth it- you deserve better.. I just- I don't want to break your heart." She muttered. That was the last thing that she wanted to do. Tyson was such a great guy and if it wasn't for him, she might have never realized what love actually looked like.

Shaking his head, Tyson refused to listen to her talk like that. "No.. You are worth everything to me. Im sorry but you can't tell me what I deserve. I love you and I want to keep this going." He begged her. "I would let you break my heart again and again if it meant that there was still a chance for us." He reassured her.

Y/N didn't know what to do, she loved him and he loved her. But she had a lot of insecurities. "Can we just take things a bit slower? She spoke meekly. It wasn't long before Tyson grinned, nodding his head and kissing her cheek.

"Whatever you need."