puppy love | c. mcdavid

Summary: Getting a dog with Connor and all the chaos that ensues

When Y/N had first brought up the idea of getting a dog, she wasn't sure how her boyfriend would feel about it. He loved animals and he loved her, but taking care of a pet was a lot of responsibility. They both had extremely busy lives and it was something they had to really think about before committing to.

Owning a pet wasn't easy, you couldn't just take the dog back if it didn't work out. At least thats how Y/N felt about it. Connor was always busy with hockey things and when he came home he wanted to be able to relax. So when his girlfriend suggested they get a dog together, he was reasonably apprehensive.

"Please babe- I'll take care of it, and we can say it's my dog. You don't have to do a thing." She pouted softly as she sat on the couch. Holding her hands clasped against her chest, her eyes were filled with this soft child like innocence. Her boyfriend chuckled softly and rolled his eyes. He was wearing a hoodie and his joggers- as his day off, he had already planned on taking Y/N to pick out a dog.

But that didn't mean that he was going to tell her just yet.

Scratching at his scruff which he had been letting grow out, he stretched against the couch. "I don't know y/n... I don't think we can take care of it." He bit his lip, trying to do his best from laughing- his voice was soft and warm like honey. He really did have good intentions when he said they couldn't get a dog.

But seeing Y/N want something so bad made him cave, if she really wanted a dog then he would ensure that they could take care of it and he would put in all the effort that was needed. Once the girl had pouted and resolved to sitting on the couch hugging a pillow sadly, he broke. "Alright we can get a dog." He groaned exaggeratedly.

The shriek that left Y/N's lips was enough to make Connor go deaf. He felt the wind become knocked out of his chest as she jumped into his arms and hugged him tightly. He laughed softly and picked her up as she wrapped her legs around his waist. Kissing her deeply- he as happy to see her so affectionate. "But I want some lovin before we go." He purred cheekily.

The girl was more than happy to have that happen. Letting him carry her to the bedroom- the door closing behind them.

A few hours had passed and Connor set up an appointment with the local Edmonton humane society for them to go in and meet some dogs. He had his hand on Y/N's knee as they drove to the downtown location, her legs shaking as she bounced in her seat. She was excited and could barely contain herself.

They had discussed getting an older dog, but they were both young and had very active lifestyles- so a puppy would be perfect for them. They could take the pooch on runs and out to the lake during the summer, all these ideas were running through Y/N's head.

When they finally arrived, Connor had to practically run after his girlfriend- she made a straight bee-line to the entrance and was inside before he could fully park the car. All the staff were extremely welcoming and had asked Connor to take a few pictures which he obliged. He asked them not to post them though which was all good.

Heading into the kennel, He let Y/N do the majority of the talking. She wanted this dog more than he did so he wanted her to be able to pick out her furry-best friend. They played with a few older dogs and some puppies before finally finding a cute little pug-bull dog mix. Its fur was short and white and he had the cutest button nose. He was more reserved than the other puppies, but as soon as Y/N walked inside the cage and sat down- the puppy was bouncing over to her and wagging its tail excitedly.

It was like there was some connection that instantly appeared between the girl and the dog. Looking up at Connor with the softest smile- he felt his heart burst, never had he seen his girl look at something with such kindness and adoration. "This is the one." She pouted adorably. Connor smiled and walked inside, sitting down and letting the dog get to know him- it ran circles around them both and before long- the couple was laughing and playing with the puppy.

They had found the perfect dog and after some paper work and paying all the adoption fees and medical fees for his first round of vaccines, they were able to take the puppy with them. The next stop was to go to the pet store and get some dog food, some toys and a bed along with a. New leash and collar.

While Connor was in line paying for things, Y/N had taken their new friend over to the small name tag machine- getting a tag made with his name on it. "Max" she smiled happily. The dog seemed to approve of the name too as he jumped around Y/N's legs. The two of them had enough energy to wear Connor out which would be quite the adventure in the long run.

Linking the new collar and leash up to Max, Y/N smiled happily as they headed back to the car. Connor carried the bags and they loaded everything into the back- putting max into his travel kennel so that he would be one-hundred-percent safe.

Holding Connor's hand, Y/N looked over at him and kissed his cheek as the pulled out of the parking lot. "Thank you so much- I can't even begin to explain how happy I am." She confessed, the man laughed. "I must say- he is adorable... I love him already." He laughed.

Y/N gushed and held his hand tightly. "I love him more than anything in the world." She laughed.

Glaring playfully he huffed. "Looks like I've got some competition." He chirped teasingly. His girlfriend patted his lap and shrugged not even bothering to deny it.

Everyone loved dogs.