offside | m. tkachuk

Summary: Y/N's brother Connor has always protected her, when he learns that she's dating Rival Matthew Tkachuk, he takes matters into his own hands to ensure she breaks-up with him.

Requested: Yes!

Growing up with an older brother was hard, add the fact that he was a hockey player and you just expect things to be even worse- they were incredibly protective already, but once you throw hockey in the mix- its like they are dialled to eleven, not only do you have one older brother looking out for you, but you also have his entire hockey team looking out for you too.

In most cases it came as a good thing, people couldn't take advantage of Y/N because they were always worried about Connor bringing his goons and beating them up- but it also meant that zero guys wanted to date her, and if they did- it was usually so they could become friends with him.

Things didn't change when Connor suddenly got drafted into the NHL- joining the oilers as their captain and becoming the franchise face, Y/N was sure that she would never get a date in her life- Not only was she a student at the university of Alberta who barely had time, but she had an angry team of oilers ready to kick the ass of anyone that hurt her.

When Y/N had gone to her first battle of Alberta game in early 2019, she hadn't expected to meet resident trouble maker Matthew Tkachuk. It was by accident really, she had gotten a message from Connor saying that he wasn't feeling good and needed her to bring him some medicine, he let the guards know that she would be coming soon.

Getting lost on the way to the locker room, she had stumbled into Matthew- he was cheeky about the whole thing, having recognized her and wanting to piss of the oilers captaincies by making a move. But he hadn't realized just how cute the girl was- she was sweet and kind, a lot more talkative and actually had a personality in comparison to her brother.

They ended up talking for a little bit and he showed her the way to the boys locker room. Not without exchanging numbers of course. Y/N didn't think much of it at the time- she thought Matthew was cute but if she ever said that outlaid it would have practically been treason.

After dropping off the medicine, Connor had gotten her seats relatively close to the bench- he figured that since he made her take the train there- she could stay for the game and then he would drive her home after. It was too dark and dangerous for him to let his little sister go home alone.

That night, the oilers had won by a pretty good lead- once Connor had dropped her off, Y/N decided to break the ice and message Tkachuk. "Tough loss- I thought you guys were supposed to be good ;)" she sent him. In all honestly she wasn't expecting him to message her right away, but as Y/N got settled for bed- her phone suddenly dinged.

Matthew's name lit up across the screen. That night, the pair had talked for hours- while the flames took their bus back to Calgary, they talked all through the night- it was strange how quickly they got along. But Y/N was excited, Matthew was a nice guy off of the ice- and there was something about him that had her interested.

That was roughly 4 months ago, she and Matthew had only been going out officially for a short amount of time, but Y/N was having fun. They hadn't told anyone yet other than Matthew's parents- he had been pushing Y/N to say something but he understood why she was so nervous. The last game he had didn't exactly end in his favour. He got into a major fight with Kassian which resulted in them both being pulled from the game.

Connor had started to suspect something was going on with Y/N when she started skipping out on their plans- she would spend lots of time in her bedroom on her phone- calling people late at night or going out at late hours in the night and coming back the next morning. Her excuse was always that she was busy with school- but after seeing a text on her phone from a contact named 'Matty' asking her when she would be coming to Calgary next, he figured it out.