the night we met | t. jost

Summary: Some fluff about Tyson meeting a girl while he's away on a road trip

Requested: No

It was never Y/N's intention to end up sitting alone in an old dingy bar on a Tuesday night. She wasn't a drinker, she didn't really party unless it was a special occasion and she NEVER went out alone at night. But with how rough her day had been, she was lead to making an impulse decision; abandoning her couch and blankets in favour of a night on the town. It was a combination of work and her mother's excessive nagging that pushed her over the edge. Her co-workers were screwing up their job which made Y/N look bad as she was in charge of them, and her mother kept asking if she would be bringing a date to Thanksgiving dinner.

Sitting at the bar, the girl had thrown on her best looking outfit- not necessarily to try and get male attention, but just to make herself feel good. Kelly's was a rather average local pub that she used to frequent a lot in her gap year- she had a few friends whom she worked with at the restaurant, but they weren't the best of people so she put some distance between herself and them.

But now two years later, she was sitting in the same seat again- waiting for the bartender Jimmy to take her order. The downtown area was usually buzzing on the weekends, so being able to come and get some relaxation during the week made Y/N smile. There had been a couple of rowdy guys in the back of the pub but other than that, it was nothing too special.

As a stranger sat down next to her, she tilted her head- something familiar about his appearance igniting a spark in her memory. Deciding that it would be rather awkward of her to just talk about whether or not they knew each other, Y/N kept quiet- the bartender coming over a few minutes later. "Hey Man what can I get you?" He asked softly.

The curly brunette looked up as if he was a deer caught in the headlights- "I uhm... Hmm" he seemed to be confused looking at the menu- which honestly didn't surprise Y/N. Kelly's had underwent some rebranding that year and they changed the whole menu as a part of it.

Clearing her throat, she scooted a bit closer and pointed out on of her favourite beers. "If you're looking for a classic, I would go with the modello." She mentioned- the man instantly turning and catching her gaze with a thankful smile. He nodded towards the bartender and agreed to go with Y/N's choice.

"Sorry, I haven't been in town for a while- It seems as though Kelly's has changed..." the man chuckled embarrassedly. Shrugging it off, Y/N gave him a grin- brushing her hair out of her face as she backed up and went to sip her drink. "Its all good- My name is y/n." She introduced herself, not minding the bit of company.

Outstretching his hand for her to take, the curly haired man gave her a slight nod. "My name is Tyson." he introduced himself as well. Suddenly the name brought Y/N's memory back to her. "Are you from St.Albert by any chance? I think we might have been in the same 6th grade class." She asked hesitantly.

She had made the first move and now it was his turn. Nothing the way his eyes lit up and how he eagerly nodding, Y/N chuckled softly. Tyson pointed at her and laughed. "Yeah! Mrs.Betrum's class right?" He asked just to be sure.

When he received confirmation he smiled, a slight blush covering his cheeks. "You were the girl that I accidentally hit with a hockey stick in gym..." he winced at the memory. The girl's laughter was like music to his ears as she nodded. "Yeah I remember now... You were the hockey kid- how's that working out for you? Ever do something with it?" She asked politely.

Y/N was never really into hockey much as a kid, but she had grown a love for the oilers considering they were her hometown team. Sitting in a bar downtown meant that they were surrounded by a sea of orange and blue- didn't matter if it was a sports bar or not.