out of town girl | m. tkachuk

Summary: Y/N is new in town and a die hard oilers fan. when her friend Katie invites her to a game, she meets some of the team. Matthew taking a particular interest in her.

Requested: Yes

When Y/N had made the move to Calgary, it wasn't out of her own volition. She was going through a messy breakup and having to move out of her exes place left her looking for somewhere to stay. Only 3 hours away, her friend Katie lived in Calgary. They had met during university and when they graduated, they went they separate ways- the blonde lady earning herself a job in salary, while Y/N stayed home in Edmonton.

It was hard to let go of such a place.

The familiar streets of downtown and the coffee shops that kept her from going insane during midterms had become her safe place. No matter what happened she always had two things to keep her company.

Hockey and coffee.

Her break up with Tom, whom was a university student working as a server- had been nothing close to pleasant. He was cheating and Y/N walked in on them. Then he had the audacity to yell at her for interrupting him and kick her out on the street with her suitcase. Calling a friend, she went to the only person she trusted.

Katie.

Although the two of them hadn't spoke in a few weeks, Y/n knew that she could count on her blonde friend- after all, who else was she supposed to go to? The friends she had in Edmonton were all flakey other than Ryan who was on the oilers. But she didn't want to bother him with such a thing- even though they were great friends, she knew how busy he was and the last thing she wanted was to seem as though she was acting for hand outs.

So when her life went to shit, she called the blonde and told her everything- just asking for advice and what to do.

"What you're going to do is forget Tom and come to Calgary." She spoke firmly into the phone. Katie had always been such a mom friend and it was moments like this that Y/N was truly grateful for that. "You're going to stay with me and take some time to move on from that jerk." Before Y/N could protest, Katie was already moving on to the next issue. "I booked you a flight- and before you say its too expensive, I used Cam's air miles." That made the girl feel slightly better. Katie's boyfriend was the goal tender for the Flames and since they travelled so much, she knew he had more than enough air miles to get her to calgary- not that it would have taken many air miles anyways.

Getting herself a cab, Y/N made her way to the airport- having called her boss and telling him that she was quitting, called the landlord and taken her name off the lease. Y/N didn't know exactly how long she would be in Calgary, but maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea to get some space and start over.

She was well into her twenties now and had her own money, she could do this- all she needed was a job and hospitality from Katie until she found a place. That was If she wanted to stay. Only time would tell.

That was nearly three months ago. The summer had gone by quickly and Y/N was starting to really like calgary- of course it wasn't exactly home, she missed the nights with the oilers and Ryan, going for coffee with him on his off days or hanging out with Tom, but god she didn't miss the arguments and constant battle between her ex and her.

Now that the hockey season was underway, Y/N was beyond ecstatic. The flames were playing the oilers I the first battle of Alberta of the season and it was a home game- which meant the oilers were coming to the saddledome. Wearing her proud blue and orange colours with a beanie and her Nugent-Hopkins jersey, Y/N and Katie headed out together.

Cam wasn't thrilled about her wearing the rival's jersey, but he could deal with it. Some of the other guys gave her a couple chirps yet the player on the team whom she had grown close to over the summer was rather quiet.

Matthew and Y/N didn't really spend much time together unless it was with Cam and Katie, but they had gone for coffee a couple of times and slowly became friends. Their interactions in public were very limited, but at night their phones lit up like Christmas trees, the two of them texting each other about everything and anything.

As the summer turned into fall, they had started to hang out a bit more- having a few near touches and flirting advances here and there. They had even gone as far as sharing a bed, one night after Matthew threw a party. Y/N was too drunk to drive home so she stayed at Tkachuk's place.

Being stubborn as ever, the woman refused to let him sleep on the couch. Planting herself firmly into the cushions once everyone had left. Matthew simply rolled his eyes at her and started getting ready for bed. "Im not letting you sleep on the couch." Both of them said at the same time as he walked into the living room, plaid pyjama pants hugging his hips and a grey t-shirt covering his torso.

He was brushing his teeth, the toothpaste being spit out in the kitchen sink as Y/N made no effort to move. They were both pretty hammered that night and as Matthew threw his toothbrush against the counter and rinsed his mouth, he walked to the couch. "Last chance Y/N/N." He placed his hands on his hips.

When the girl made no effort to move, he shrugged and picked her up- tossing her over his shoulder and giving her a smack against her bum. Carrying her into the bedroom, he threw her down on the bed and laid down next to her. "If this is what it takes to make you sleep in my bed fine... But just know that usually I don't bring a girl in my bed until the third date." He winked cheekily.

That night they went to bed without so much as a kiss. It was romantic but neither of them had done anything in their drunken haze.

Now standing in the tunnel near the locker room catching up with Connor and Ryan, Y/N could see Matthew heading towards the locker room. His eyes were filled with hatred as he watched her interact with the Edmonton rivals. Ryan rolled his eyes upon noticing the rat's glare. "You and Chucky cheese a thing now?" He asked, smirking at how frustrated he was.

Rolling her eyes, Y/N shrugged. "Something like that... Just don't let kassy beat him too hard." She winked, getting the call from Katie that it was time to head up to the box. Her two friends laughed as they gave her a hug and said no promises, heading on their way- they were hoping that eventually she would comeback home to Edmonton.

Katie snickered softly. "Ive never seen Matty so jealous- you and him would be a good thing." She commented, linking her arms with the girl's as they headed to the box. They were total opposites, one decked out in flames gear and the other in Edmonton pride. It was honestly quite cute.

As the game progressed and a few fights took place, The oilers ended up losing by two points. Y/N's ego taking a hit and bruising as her and the other WAGs headed down to the parking garage to wait for their men. Y/N was merely a friend at this point, but she would be heading out with Cam and Katie.

Matthew was the first to come out, his face adopting a cocky smirk as he walked towards Y/N. "I beat your team, babe." He smirked- wrapping his arm around her shoulder. Rolling her eyes, Y/N chuckled. "How many times have I told you not to call me babe?" She asked playfully.

The man grinned and whispered in her ear. "Just as many times as Ive told you to stop wearing Oilers shit." He countered, the two of them were flirting so clearly that even in the dark and dingy parking garage, everyone could see it.

"Dude just kiss her already!" Johnny yelled out as he walked to his car- the group laughed and Y/N's cheeks flamed. Matthew looked down at her and took a deep breath. "Are you okay with that?" He knew everything that had gone down with her ex, and he didn't want to pressure her.

Smiling up at him as he pressed her into his car, the girl hummed softly. "Well.. considering you did just win- I think we can let it slide." She bit her lip and caught his eye.

Moments later, he had leaned in and pressed his lips to hers. Their friends and teammates cheered and laughed. Watching the new couple pull away from each other breathlessly.

Matthew chuckles, running his hands through his curly hair. "Were gonna have to get you a Tkachuk jersey." He smirked.

"Over my dead body."