pull me away | m. tkachuk

Summary: Y/N has finally learned how to move on from Matthew, but as soon as he hears that she's found someone new, he makes it his mission to get her to remember what they had

Requested: No

Breakups were hard there was no doubt about it. Every time Y/N got her heart broken, she was pretty sure that it would be the last time. Because after a while, 'the one' would come around and save her right? She thought that when she met Matthew, he was going to be the one she spent the rest of her life with.

Boy was she wrong.

Everything about their relationship was difficult, between trying to find time to spend with each other and their constant bickering. The two were always stressed about something. It lead to plenty of arguments and they took their anger out on each other. For two long years, they drug themselves along in a failing relationship.

But it wasn't always bad, during the offseason or bye-week, they had some of their best times. Y/N was adored by Matthew's family, even his father which surprised everyone. Keith had nothing bad to say about his son's girl which shocked the entire family, but it was greatly appreciated. Brady thought that Y/N was a good addition to the family, and Matthew's younger sister was joined at the hip with his girlfriend.

The couple often spent the offseason in st.louis or in Calgary, making up for lost time and really working on their relationship. Even though they argued and fought through the majority of the year, somehow they were always able to work things out and find each other again. Which is why their breakup was such a shock to everyone.

Y/N had ended things out of pure desperation. She was tired of turning around every second and getting into an argument over something stupid. Matthew and her had been trying to make things work but this season was a lot rougher than ever before. The hockey player had a few suspensions which stressed him out beyond belief. The fact that things were rough with him and Y/N only piled on top.

Try as they might, nothing seemed to be going well for Y/N and Matt. Everything they did to fix their relationship was only making things worse. Scheduling date nights and forcing the relationship had brought them to their breaking point.

One night, the arguing had gotten so bad that tears were brought to Matthew's eyes. He hated that he was hurting his girlfriend, but he didn't know what to do at this point. It had become a habit for the two of them to just argue and spit at each other. So when she had finally had enough, he knew that there was no getting her back.

"I can't do it anymore Matthew..." She looked sunk into the couch, bent over her knees as her hands rubbed at her face. She was exhausted, the emotional drain of fighting having taken it's toll. As her weight buried her into the cushions, Matthew suddenly paused his pacing. His eyes whipped around towards her and he felt as though he just got punched in the gut.

"Wha- No Y/N come on..." his voice was low, almost as if he was trying to convince himself he hadn't just heard his girl give up. But when she lifted her head and he saw her glossy eyes- he couldn't help but match them. Making his way towards her, he kneeled in front of her, taking her hands into his own and shaking his head. "We can make it work baby... we always do right?" He tried to reassure her.

A sad chuckle slipped past the girl's lips. Tears fell down her cheeks as she looked up at her boyfriend. His hair was curly and his usually wild eyes were masked by concern and a sense of pleading. "I can't Matt..." She sighed. "All we do is hurt each other, I love you so much- but this relationship is ruining me." She stressed. "It's ruining us."

The man looked down, lips pressing into a firm line. He gave her a hesitant nod and tried to process everything. They had been together for almost three years and now things were gone- just like that. Stepping back, he let her hands slip from his grasp. Matthew ignored the sound of her keys jingling as she picked them up from the counter, she had slipped out of his apartment within a matter of seconds- like a drifting breeze that was gone as soon as it came.