secrecy | m. tkachuk

Summary: hidden relationships are tough and Y/N is tired of sneaking around.

Requested: no

Y/N knew better than to get involved with someone. Even though she may want love more than anything, she knew that her heart could only take so much pain before it began to change her. However, when a dashing smile and sinful eyes suddenly showed an interest in her, she just couldn't say 'no.'

When Matthew Tkachuk first entered Y/N's life, he struck her as someone that would never be satisfied in life. He was arrogant, obnoxious and less than level-headed. With a mess of curls upon his head and a scruff that seemed to always have bald patches- he originally didn't jump out as someone Y/N would be attracted to. That wasn't her fault either, he simply just wasn't like that to her.

But after her friends seemingly left the bar without her, Y/N found herself walking along the cold winter streets of Calgary alone. With her phone empty of any charge- she had no way to call a taxi. Apple Pay really was a bitch.

That left her with two options: A, walk in the direction of her condo and pray that she wouldn't die in a snowbank on the way, or B, swallow her pride and make it the few blocks to Matthew's apartment.

As wounding as it was, she had to go with option B. She had no ill wishes towards Matthew, he just wasn't someone that she liked all that much. They had only talked a few times and while it was civil, there was never a real connection. She was a friend of Johnny's so showing up at Matt's apartment in the cold wouldn't be that random, but staying any longer than necessary definitely would be.

After what felt like hours, Y/N made the three blocks to Matthew's apartment complex. Her jeans were frozen to her legs and her heels were soaked from the snow. Her lips were purple and her cheeks were like ice. She needed to get inside.

Heading into the Lobby, Y/N saw the doorman. She had met him a few times before when she showed up to Matthew's place for parties, but she doubted that he remembered her. "E-Excuse me?" Y/N walked in, arms huddled around her as her teeth chattered from the cold. "I'm here to see Matthew? Apartment 68D?" She told him. "My name is Y/N. He knows me." She told the man.

Nodding softly, the man grabbed his telephone off his desk and punched in the number up to Matthew's residence. "Good Evening sir, my apologies for the late night call. There is a woman down here claiming that she knows you? She said her name was Y/N Y/L/N." He explained.

There was some chatter on the other line and the doorman hung up. "He said you could go on up- the elevator is to the right." He pointed it out even though he was sure she could find it herself.

Walking as if her body was frozen stiff, Y/N shuffled her way to the elevator, her skin was so cold that she was close to crying, but she promised herself she wouldn't do that.

By the time she made it to Matthew's floor, Y/N had only warmed up partially, the complex itself was rather cool- unlike the apartments that Y/N knew came with fireplaces. She knocked on apartment 68D and no sooner than a minute later, Matthew had opened up the door, confusion etched across his face.

"Jesus- What happened to you?" Matthew gasped, pulling Y/N inside and quickly having her throw off her cold jacket. He could see the coldness in her face and shook his head. "Did you walk here?"

Y/N nodded numbly as she tried to wrap her arms tighter around herself. Matthew's apartment was warmer than outside by a long shot, but she could still feel the chill in her bones. "The girls left the bar- my phone died and I didn't have any cash on me to get a cab." She whispered.