give a little | v. dunn

Summary: relationships were a two way street, as someone whose always struggled with commitment, Y/N realizes that in order to be happy, she has to give a little trust in order to not get her heartbroken.

Y/N was never one for relationships.

Somehow, somewhere, she always found that her relationships were messed up and ended before they even got the chance to really get off the ground. Which is why she was so hesitant to give Vince a chance.

She knew the type of guy that he was, or at least she thought she did. Y/N only saw him as a hockey player- and from the horror stories she had heard about dating athletes, she figured it was stupid to even consider giving him a shot. It would only end with her heart being broken, and after how many times she had put herself back together, she wasn't sure she could take another disappointment.

It wasn't for a lack of trying however, Vince was the seemingly perfect guy. He was so passionate, he was funny, and god he was great with kids. Not to mention he was incredibly attractive. No matter how hard Y/N tried, she couldn't find a single flaw about him. They got along so well that she was sure he was faking it, the sex was amazing and by god- she wanted nothing more than to be called his.

He wanted to call her his too. There was nothing like having a night in, the two of them surrounded by boxes of takeout and cuddled up on his couch. It didn't matter if a chick-flick was playing on the television, he rarely paid attention to the screen anyways when he was Y/N. The only thing he was interested in when she was around was her. The actresses on the silver screen had nothing in comparison to Y/N. Sure they were beautiful and talented, but they didn't pout when they were stuck in a deep thought. Their laughter didn't echo off of his walls at the early hours of the morning, they didn't stay up late just to watch him play video games for hundreds of people online.

They didn't have his love.

But no matter how much he tried to keep them close, those nights spent with Y/N always seemed to slip between his fingers. Whether it was her waking up early the next morning to disappear before the crack of dawn, or pulling away when they started to move the conversation to a sensitive topic, it seemed like Vince was always reaching for something that would never happen.

He just needed Y/N to give him a chance, because he knew that he could love her properly- he knew that he could make her forget about whatever man had scarred her emotionally all those years ago. He just needed the opportunity.

They had butted heads on the situation on more than one occasion. Usually things ended with one of them waving a white flag and taking the blame, leaving them to just wrap up in the arms of each other for the rest of the date. But then there were times when Y/N's commitment issues got the better of Vince and he lashed out.

"I just don't understand why you won't give me a chance!" His voice strained within his kitchen. The veins on the side of his neck popped. He wasn't screaming at her- but rather pleading with her to just let him love her. All he received was a frown and narrowly missed glances from the woman before him. He could see that she wanted to give in and let him take over, but whatever had hurt her before was still holding on tightly to her.

She obviously hadn't processed anything from the last time they had this argument, and the fact that she hadn't tried- was really pushing Vince over the edge. "You know why Vince- I'm not good at relationships-" she tried to play it off as if she was doing this for his benefit but they both knew that was a lie.

"Because you don't even try!" He threw his hands in the air. "Im so tired of being in love with you and you not letting yourself feel the same." He gulped. "You don't even call me vince- you literally call me 'Dunn' you use my last fucking name Y/N! Do you know how stupid I feel?" He spat. At first the name thing was cute and he thought that it was silly, but overtime it became one of the things he hated most about their situation. He was exhausted, after all the effort and work he had put into their relationship, he felt like she was playing with him- pulling him close enough so that he wouldn't see anyone else, but then pushing him away when things got too serious.