space between us | m. tkachuk

Summary: Long distance was never easy, when you finally feel like its time to give up. Matthew gives you an offer you can't refuse.

Requested: Yes

If there was one thing Y/N knew, it was that she loved Matthew. He had been nothing but great to her which made leaving him so much harder. There was nothing wrong with their relationship really, they both had deep feelings for one another and had talked about getting married in a couple years- they knew that they were long term and that there was no one else they would rather spend their lives with.

Matthew was kind to her which was rather odd in comparison to his usual jerk and asshole moments people had grown accustomed to see from the hockey player. He had been nothing but loyal and sweet towards her- but he lived in Calgary, and Y/N lived in Toronto. She happened to meet him when he was playing against the maple leafs- he walked into her coffee shop and they hit it off right away.

For an entire year, every time he came into toronto- he made a point to come see her at the coffee shop. While they exchanged text messages while he was away, it was somewhat difficult to not see him all the time. But nonetheless, they made time for face time dates and after a few months, he had asked if they could date- they were exclusive and he wasn't sleeping with anyone else.

Whenever he had a break, he was coming into Toronto and had even paid for Y/N to come out to Calgary and visit him for a few times during the year. But now that Y/N was finished university and work had been Taking up all her time, she wasn't sure she could keep doing the back and forth. It was hard enough to schedule time off work- but paying lots of money to travel to Calgary and back every month was hurting her debit card and she was worried that eventually, she would run out and not be able to afford it anymore.

She refused to accept Matthew's money even though she knew that he would have no issue paying. He had offered several times, but the girl had her restraints against using his hard earned money. Which is what lead her to calling him rather late in the night and pacing around her apartment- she had tears in her eyes and didn't know if she could go through with her plan.

"Hey babe." His voice called out happily- just hearing how chipper he was made Y/N's heart break. She couldn't believe that she was about to break him. "Hey Matthew... are you home?" She asked tentatively.

The man immediately furrowed his brows- the only time that Y/N ever called him Matthew was if she was mad at him or something had gone wrong. "Yeah I am- are you okay?" He asked, quickly setting his phone down on the kitchen table and sitting down. Within a few moments, he had started faceTiming her and the girl was hesitant to pick up. Placing herself by the window- she thought that looking out at the city might help ease her mind.

"No I- not really." She admitted, there was no use in lying to him. Breaking up was going to hurt her more than anything had in her life. The music that Matthew had been playing in the back of his apartment had been shut off, his attention solely focused on Y/N.

Rather than waiting for him to ask, Y/N decided to rip it off like a band-aid. "We need to break up Matt..." she sighed softly- rubbing her face and biting her lip anxiously. The guilt was already seeping through her expression and as tears began to pool in her eyes.

Immediately Matthew was shaking his head. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. This girl was the love of his life and suddenly she wanted to end things? He didn't believe it. "No no wait- Y/N what are you talking about?" He asked quickly, his face was full of panic and he was ready to hop on a flight to Toronto if it meant preserving his relationship with the girl.

Sucking in a harsh breath, Y/N wiped her tears and looked down. "Its the distance Matt... We haven't seen each there in two months- I can't afford to keep flying out there..." she started to explain, he cut her off rather quickly. "Ill pay! Ill pay for you to come out every two weeks!" He promised her.

The girl shook her head and sighed. "Matt I'll lose my job.." She frowned.

Matt glared angrily. Not necessarily at Y/N but at the situation in general. "Fuck your job Y/N! I'm in love with you- I don't want to lose you!" He snapped at her. Shaking his head, he ran his fingers through his hair irritably and huffed. Suddenly an idea popped itself into his head and he looked like a lightbulb went off. "Move in with me." He spoke.

Breaking the girl out of her rant, her eyes snapped towards him. "What? I think we have a bad connection- I don't think I heard you right." Was he really asking her to come move in with him? The idea sounded crazy. But Y/N would be open to it- she just never thought that the would be ready for that.

"Move in with me- I hate the distance as much as you do... I make more than enough money to provide for us, and If you want a job- we will find you one here. But Im not losing you." He spoke determinedly. Listening to the girl giggle softly and watching her wipe her tears, the man smiled. "If you say no, I'm more than willing to come to Toronto and drag your ass to Calgary." He spoke with such purpose that the girl couldn't stop herself from laughing.

"Okay... I'll move to Calgary." She answered him, a bright smile forming on her lips. She knew that it would take a couple weeks for her to sell all of her things or give them away, but she was bursting with excitement. This was a major step in their relationship and she was ready to take it.

She was ready to go all in if it meant that her and Matthew would have a bright future ahead of them.