if the world was ending | v. dunn

Summary: Vince thought that he made the right decision to end his relationship, but after seeing a television screen filled with tragedy, he finds himself thinking of Y/N, and how if the world was ending, he would want nothing more than to be with her.

Requested: No

'based on the song 'if the world was ending' by JP Saxe'

It was all over the news, people dying or getting hurt, different storms across the globe, earthquakes, it seemed like no matter what station Vince turned to, there was some type of horror awaiting him. There was a sinking feeling in his stomach, he wanted to know that the families affected were okay- but he knew that if it was him, he probably wouldn't be.

That lead him to Y/N.

He was wondering what she might be up to, was she out drinking with her friends after a tough night at work? He knew that Friday's were always her busiest day at the office- everyone trying to get the week's work done so that they didn't have to come in on the weekend.

Was she wearing her usual 'going out jeans' matched with a hoodie? He envisioned her sitting in a bar, laughing about something stupid her friend, or giving polite smiles with a stranger at a bar to keep the peace.

They had gone out together many times, always hanging off one another by the end of the night and ending up back at his place or hers if he was off the next day.

Taking a deep breath, Vince pushed himself up off of the couch. He made his way into his bedroom and pulled his sweatshirt over his head, tossing it haphazardly into the corner. He wasn't tired enough to go to sleep, but he was tired of staring at the television mindlessly. He had streamed earlier that night as well but being in quarantine, he found that the things he was using to waste time- were becoming quite the chore.

Falling back onto the bed, his bare back felt the spark of cold sheets- the dark grey material was silky and soft against him. Her furrowed his brows and pinched the bridge of his nose, they reminded him of Y/N's skin, how he used to trail his hands up her soft legs or the way he would grab her hips as if his hands were meant to be there.

No matter what he tried to get his mind off of her, Y/N was on the forefront of his brain- imprinted like a tattoo. All he wanted was her to come over and stay the night with him. He knew it was wrong to even think of, after all he had been the one to end their relationship.

He blamed it on not being able to handle the commitment, that he was a young hockey player that needed to be free. It was a lie and he knew it, Y/N knew it too. She called him out on his bullshit, that if he was really that scared of commitment he would have ended their relationship two years ago.

If Vince was being honest, he wasn't scared of the commitment, he was scared of Y/N seeing him for who he really was. A hockey player that barely had any time for her, someone that could give her materialistic things, but would never be around when she needed him. He felt like she deserved better.

Vince was the type of guy that tried not to show how much something affected him, which is why he brushed Y/N off when she fought back against them breaking up. He said things that he shouldn't have to really drive his point home.

It had only been three months since they split up and if he was being honest, Vince had gotten used to being alone. When he was on the road, he was busy enough that he was distracted, but when he was home alone- that was when his thoughts got the best of him. Just like tonight.

He needed to know if she had moved with her life, he needed to know that if the world was to sporadically combust, they would be together.

Against his better judgement, Vince got up from the bed, grabbing a clean shirt and a pair of sweatpants, he pulled them on and messed his curls up a bit. Grabbing one of his black St.Louis masks, he put it on and took a breath. Was he really about to go to Y/N's place in the middle of the night to see her?

The answer was yes.

The trip across town wasn't too long, but by the time he had crossed the bridge, he was pretty sure that he should have just stayed at home. But he had committed to using the gas in his car, he could do it.

Parking his car along the familiar road, Vince took a breath and climbed out. The air was brisk against his shoulders and he made a quick effort to head up the stairs of Y/N's condo. Knocking on the large white door, he was hoping that this wouldn't come across the wrong away.

It took a few minutes, but Y/N appeared on the other side of the door with furrowed brows. She was wearing one of Vince's t-shirts and bedtime shorts.

Vince felt his heart swell, she hadn't gotten rid of it. "I know it's late... I just- I had to come see you." He gulped. Looking down at his hands, he stuck them into the pockets of his sweat pants and took a deep breath.

Y/N looked at him with wide eyes, she crossed her arms across her chest somewhat embarrassed that she was wearing his shirt. She looked at him for a second and tried to figure out if this was really a good idea. "Vince I-" There was a voice behind her.

"Babe come back to bed."

Y/N sighed and pouted at Vince. "Im sorry Vince..." she closed the door and watched him disappear from sight.

Standing alone in front of her door, Vince felt like an idiot. Why on earth would she talk to him? He was an asshole to her and ruined things. She had someone else in her bed... he pushed her away, and someone else took her.

If the world wasn't ending before, Vince felt like it was now.