boyfriend | t. jost

Summary: FWB that want to be something more but can't seem to commit to one another.

Requested: yes but a long time ago (HAPPY BIRTHDAY TYSON)

When Y/n first got involved with Tyson, she knew that it was only going to end up in heart break. The two of them were extremely attracted to one another and what had started out as a one-night stand turned into a friends with benefits agreement. They weren't sleeping around with other people simply due to the fact that finding other partners was a long and tedious process.

Their schedules were all over the place, Tyson was always travelling for hockey and Y/N just so happened to be the Colorado av's physiotherapist. She travelled everywhere with the team which made their arrangement so much easier. There was no long-distance or Skype sex. What they had was easily accessible, when they were on the road, all Tyson had to do was take the elevator down to Y/N's floor and he could be in her room within a matter of minutes.

But then the feelings started. Back at home, the quick late night booty calls turned into sleeping over. Sneaking out before sunrise became sharing breakfast and going for round two in the early morning. They were getting too comfortable with one another- So Y/N called a quits.

She knew that she couldn't handle a relationship at this point in her life. She was way too busy with work and focusing on her career- and so was Tyson. Neither of them wanted to put their dreams on hold just for the sake of a boy or girl. But the chemistry between then was undeniable. At least to everyone except them.

All Y/N wanted was to feel comfortable with her life. She used to be able to be alone for months on end without a thought. She liked how independent she was- being by herself and spending time with herself was one of her favourite things. But since she had gotten involved with Tyson, it was like something in her had changed.

She didn't like coming home alone anymore, she didn't like sleeping by herself in cold sheets- The feeling of Tyson's strong arms wrapped around her and his broad chest pressed into her back as she slept was something the woman had come to cherish. Now that it was gone she was miserable.

Tyson wasn't doing any better. He had ended up lashing out at Y/N a couple of times when they were on the road- whether it be because he didn't want to see her, or because he didn't know how to talk to her. Somehow their fighting always ended with a steamy make-out session or a quickie in a storage closet. They were fighting and fucking to make up. He hated it but he also loved it.

The Edmonton native was never one for settling down early. He knew that he wanted to eventually have a family and get married and all that jazz- but right now in his twenties, he was sure that he just wanted to relax and hang out. He wanted to fuck around and play the field. That was until he met Y/N. Something about her had him so enamoured that he was ready to throw his life plan out the window for her.

So when Y/N called things off- he had truly become a train wreck, he didn't know what to do with himself. It was so sudden and his world seemed to be crashing around him. He knew in his gut that something was off and that this wasn't the end of them- but what was he supposed to say? He didn't want to look like a crazy ex that couldn't let her go.

But in reality he didn't. He didn't want to let this woman go- she had become such an important part of his life- every morning he woke up feeling like a part of his heart was ripped out of him. No longer did he get to wrap his arms around her waist or smell her shampoo against his pillow. He didn't get to kiss her lips tenderly and taste the cherry chapstick that she always wore- For once there was a large collection of hoodies in his closet. He was used to the girl having at least half of them at her place, but since she had turned him away- they were all sitting there in the bottom of his wardrobe. Seemingly draped in disappointment and mocking him.

Tyson had convinced himself that he could get over Y/N. That he could let her go and move on- he needed to get back into the proper headspace. The team was making good strides now and the last thing he needed was to let his team down. They had a cup to win.

That plan only lasted for so long- eventually the team was hosting an event and all the Colorado avalanche staff was invited. Tyson knew that Y/N was going to be there so he dressed up a little more than usual. He was used to throwing on suits and going about his day- but tonight he had an impression to make.

He got a hair cut, shaved his scruffy looking beard which had the guys chirping him. They asked who he was 'all dolled up for' and if they were being honest, they had a pretty good idea about who it was. The theories that the guys had been throwing around were only confirmed when

Y/N walked in.

She looked stunning, wearing a burgundy tone dress that hugged her figure and showed off her body amazingly. Her hair was waved and pinned behind her ear on one side. Gold jewelry pressed into her hearts and laying against her collarbone. She looked regal and Tyson would have gone up and begged for her to come back then and there.

That was if she didn't walk in with another man.

He was tall and blonde- overly buff and reeked of arrogance. It was obvious Y/N didn't care for him. Because as soon as she walked in, she searched the room- locking eyes with Tyson. As soon as she did, she grabbed her 'dates' hand and pulled him close. She wanted Tyson to see her with someone else-

Two could play at that game.

Tyson made his rounds through the room before heading to the bar- finding someone to chat to for a while. She was pretty, but nothing in comparison to Y/N. He knew that if he really wanted to, he could probably take this girl back to his place and get laid- but that wasn't something he exactly wanted. He had no idea who this girl was, who she had been sleeping with- she could have a thousand STDs and that wasn't something Tyson was interested in finding out.

Being with Y/N, He knew they were exclusive friends with benefits which meant they were both clean and there was no risk.

After flirting pretty heavily with the woman next to him- he noticed that Y/N had a scowl on her face. She was green with envy and didn't do a very good job of hiding it. Tyson laid it on thick and whispered in the woman's ear about their drinks- his eyes locked onto Y/N's the entire time. She knew that he was testing her, but she didn't care anymore.

Abandoning her date, she walked across the room as if she was on a mission- grabbing Tyson's bicep and pulling him away from the woman without a single word. He followed after her receiving a few chirps from his boys as they passed them. Finally settling outside of the event in the street, Tyson chuckled. "What- couldn't keep your hands to yourself?" He teased her.

Y/N shook her head. "Im ready Tyson... I made a mistake letting you go... I want you to be my boyfriend." She spoke firmly. She couldn't stand seeing her with other women. And maybe in the beginning she didn't want to have things be serious between them, but now she did. Tyson was hers and she wanted to be his.

Swooping down and capturing her lips with his, he pressed her flush to his chest and held her tightly. They fell into the familiar touch, almost burning each other as they grew hot. "Thats all you had to say." Tyson spoke breathlessly, pulling her towards his car and making a beeline for his apartment.

On the surface it seemed easy, but it took them some effort to get where they were now. They weren't going to see anybody else. Just the two of them- that was all they needed.