medication | m. marner

Summary: in which Y/N is sick and isolates herself in her apartment. Mitch comes over and scolds her before finally taking care of his best friend

Requested: Yesss

Sneezing, coughing, throwing up, feeling like shit. Thats what Y/N had been doing all weekend. An overwhelming sense of nausea and pain had left her bed ridden for almost three days. A mess of blankets and empty tissues boxes lying around her as she suffered alone.

The last thing she wanted to do was bring over her mom or her friends and get them sick too.

Unfortunately for her moral compass, Mitch had other plans.

Her dorky and fun-loving best friend had caught wind of her illness through a mutual friend and within an hour he was at Y/N's door with a homemade pot of soup- his mother's recipe- and a care package filled with his friend's favourite movies, candies and his hoodies that smelled like his cologne.

The two of them were just friends, but that didn't mean Mitch wouldn't go out of his way for the girl.

Letting himself into her apartment with the spare key, he looked in the living room first- half expecting to see the girl nudged up on the couch with a thermometer in her mouth. But the pull-out was empty. Y/N's cat wasn't in its bed either or sleeping in the sunshine by the window- immediately that was when Mitch knew that Y/N was really sick. That cat was so independent it wouldn't go see Y/N unless she was dying.

Not seeing the furry animal anywhere only made him feel worse.

Setting the soup on the stove and starting to heat it up, he wandered into the back hallway that lead to the girl's bedroom- knocking on the door and peeking his head in. "Hey Y/N- its me." He called out, not wanting to spook the woman.

As he entered the room, he was disheartened to see that the girl was in a cocoon of blankets- like a small burrito. Her cheeks were bright red and her eyes were drooped lazily- the room was pitch black and he assumed that she had either been sleeping, or was avoiding the light due to a headache.

Lowering his voice, he walked over and sat down into the plush mattress, reaching out and brushing his hand across the girl's arm. "Freddie said you weren't feeling well... But I didn't expect for you to look like death." He tried to tease slightly.

Within a moment, the girl lifted her head and flashed him a tired smile- a tiny hoarse chuckle slipping past her lips. Mitch could hear the mix of mucus and pain coating her throat and pouted. "You didn't need to come here." The girl tried to reassure him. But the hockey player was having none of that.

"Of course I had to- You're my best friend." He promised, brushing her hair out of her face, a soft hum fell through the room- letting Y/N fully wake up before he tried to have a full conversation with her.

Once she was more alert and had drinked half of the water bottle that Mitch brought with him, she spoke up again. "Whats that smell?" She asked with a confused expression- not remembering putting any food on. Smiling proudly of himself, Mitch straightened up. "I made soup- momma's recipe." He confirmed.

Seeing the girl's eyes light up was enough to make Mitch smile, the girl stretching and starting to get up from the bed. If there was one thing that she would get up for, it was Mitch's mother's home-cooking.

Shuffling along to the kitchen with Mitch following behind, she walked in and sat down at the counter- letting Mitch serve her and take care of her. She didn't like the idea of someone else looking out for her, but Mitch wasn't about to take no for an answer. So she mocked him slightly- acting as though his care was only causing her more pain and suffering.

But in the end, he was a great friend and she was happy to have him there.