voicemail | m. barzal

Summary: Y/N had been in love with her neighbour Mat for as long as she could remember. When he suddenly moves away for hockey, he takes her broken heart with him. After a drunk night out, Y/N sends Mat a very incriminating voicemail in which she reveals her feelings for him.

Based on prompts 2,3,5,8

The sound of her phone ringing was shocking to Y/N's ears- it was barely three o'clock in the morning and she had been passed out on the living room couch after a night out. Her head was pounding and she felt like she was going to throw up. Grumbling to herself, the woman rolled over and reached for her phone- noticing that it was her best friend calling.

"Hello?" Y/N frowned. Why was Anders calling her so early? Surely he would have been in bed by now. On the other line, there was hushed whispers. "Hey Y/N- I saw that you were sending me drunk texts- just wanted to make sure you got home alright." As soon as he mentioned drunk texts, Y/N shot upright.

She looked around the living room and noticed the pitch black sky outside her window- wincing as he told her about how she was being all lovey towards him and his new baby. "Shit sorry... As long as its nothing incriminating right?" She chuckled- pressing her hand to her forehead and smiling faintly.

Under lets out an uneasy laugh, making Y/N's blood run cold. "Anders.... What did I do?" She whimpered. Immediately focusing on Ander's words- she was shaking with anticipation. He was the only one that knew about her feelings for the other islanders player. Mat... The girl had grown up with him in Vancouver and loved him longer than she could even remember, but when he moved away- she knew that she never had a a chance.

"You told me that you were finally gonna tell mat how you felt..." he winced- Y/N could practically see him grimacing, his eyes crinkling as he glanced towards his wife.

Feeling a shiver run down her spine, Y/N choked. No. She couldn't have told mat how she felt. If he knew how she really felt about him, it was going to ruin their friendship and she would never see him again.

Letting out a scream of panic, Y/N launched herself from the couch- The sun had yet to rise and she had to get to the airport. "Hello? Y/N?" Anders spoke from the phone nervously- he could hear the girl running around and finally when she picked up the phone and breathed out heavily- he knew her plan. "Im flying to Long Island- Make sure Mat does not look at his phone!" She ordered him. Before the girl said anything else, she hung up on her friend and grabbed her suitcase.

It didn't take her long to book a flight and while her bank account wasn't exactly happy with the large expense, she knew that she would never let herself be happy again if she ruined things between her and Mat. Grabbing her sneakers, her passport, a change of clothes in a carry-on and throwing on a hoodie, the girl was out of the apartment in 5 minutes. Locking up behind herself as she headed onto the street and hailed a cab.

The drive to the airport gave Y/N enough time to remember everything that had happened just a couple of hours before. She didn't remember much other than the fact that she had drank way more than she should have- that she was out partying with some friends- one of which had just broken up with her boyfriend.

They were having a girl's night and getting over boys. Between rounds of shots, they had somehow convinced Y/N that it would be a good idea to tell Mat her feelings sos that she could move on from him. Which is what lead to her sneaking into the bar bathroom and dialling his number. Lucky for her, he didn't pick up.

But she still left him a voicemail- slurring her words as she leaned against the bathroom sink of the bar. "Heeeeyyyy mat!!" She laughed. "Its

Y/N! But you already knew that because you saw my caller ID." She giggled softly- stumbling through the bathroom as she began to pace back and forth, the girl gulped.