addition | m. tkachuk

If there was one thing that Y/N knew, it was that her period was consistent. Her cycle processed like clock work, she had tracking her period down to almost the hour of which she thought it was going it happen.

So when June 5th came and her period was late, it was like all hell had broken loose. Her and Matthew were back in St.Louis for the offseason- visiting his family for a while before they planned on going back to Calgary. They had been spending a lot of time with Chantal and Keith as well as his siblings, but as they were now married for almost two years, the couple had decided it would have been better to rent an AIRbnb rather than crowd the Tkachuk family home.

In reality, Y/N was relieved that they had made that decision. Matthew was out with his father and brother for an early morning round of golf leaving her in the rental home alone. Which she found herself grateful for.

She needed time to process the fact that she was actually late, but she also didn't want to jump to conclusions. Her and Matthew had discussed starting a family and they knew that they were ready for a child.

However, neither of them wanted to rush such a thing, so they decided that when the time was right, Y/N would become pregnant. The woman had stopped her birth control a few months ago so she knew that conceiving was a possibility.

Her and Matthew had been having unprotected sex as well. Really they were trying for a baby- just not too intensely. They didn't have her ovulation cycle scheduled out, they didn't make having sex an event on their Calendars.

It was rather simple really, whenever they were in the mood, they did the deed and hoped that a baby resulted out of it.

Since they had been in St.Louis, the couple had only gotten intimate a few times. But as Y/N rushed to the bathroom and emptied her stomach- she realized that this could be it.

She might be pregnant.

Taking a deep breath, she knew that Matthew would want to be there when she took the test. If they weren't married, she might have gone to do it herself and told him the news afterwards, but now they had a union and Matthew really did want a family.

So she waited.

A couple of hours later, the anticipation had been brewing in Y/N's body, she shouldn't stop tapping her feet against the ground and she couldn't stop busying herself with mindless tasks. She had cleaned the kitchen twice, rearranged the pillows on the living room couch several times- and even reorganized Matthew's suitcase.

As soon as Matthew walked into the house, Y/N felt a sense of calm wash over her. At least she didn't have to wait anymore. He was wearing his golf shirt with a pair of khaki shorts and some tennis shoes, the imprint of his visor denting his curls from wearing it all morning.

"Hey babe-" Matthew walked in, setting his gold bag to the side before wrapping his arms around his wife and kissing her temple.

He could see the giddy grin she had and the sparkle in her eyes. "What?" he laughed softly. If he was being honest, Matthew thought that he might be getting laid- which he wasn't mad about.

But Y/N had other plans. "I need you to take me to the pharmacy." she told him. "I think I might be pregnant." she blushed a bright red.

Matthew's eyes widened and he looked at her with the biggest smile he had ever had. Even when he saw Y/N walk down the aisle on their wedding day his smile wasn't as big- but that might have been because he was crying.

"Really? Are you sure?" he asked, hands gripping her biceps as he became excited.

Y/N laughed. "The only way to be sure is to go and take a test." she told him. "But I really think so." she smiled at him. The hope was evident between the young couple as Matthew all but tore through the bedroom to get changed.

Within a minute or two, he was ready to go, keys in hand and a fresh pair of clothes on. The drive to the pharmacy was probably one of the most nerve wracking things Y/N had ever experienced. She was excited, but scared at the same time- and Matthew felt the same. He really wanted a family, but he was worried about Y/N. He had heard horror stories about pregnancies going wrong and he didn't want that to happen to them.

Parking the car in the lot, Y/N hopped out and grabbed her purse, Matthew followed behind her as she entered the store- the smell of bleach immediately hitting the both of them. The freshly clean linoleum floors were enough to make Y/N want to hurl- but she was on a mission, her stomach would have to wait until her pregnancy test was purchased.

Standing in front of the test section, Matthew was almost petrified about how many different kinds there were. "Do we get one of each?" he asked hesitantly.

Y/N looked up at him with a flash of fear in her eyes. It was just dawning on her now how serious this was. "I- no we just pick two or three..." she mumbled nervously.

Matthew frowned, taking a step in front of her and blocking her view from the tests, he wrapped his arms around her. "Hey- it's gonna be okay, alright? we're in this together... you're gonna be a great mom and were gonna have an awesome kid." he attempted to reassure her.

His word choice helped as Y/N giggled softly, wiping a tear from her eye. It wasn't that she didn't want a kid- hell, she wanted one so bad. She was just extremely nervous.

They picked out a few tests and grabbed a bottle of orange juice for Y/N to drink on the way home before heading to the cash register and paying. All through the drive home, Y/N made herself busy by chugging the fruity drink while Matthew thought of a thousand different ways to make Y/N comfortable if she really was pregnant.

Once they got home, Y/N disappeared into the bathroom to take the tests. As much as Matthew dictated that he had seen her pee before, Y/N wanted to do this part individually. "There is pressure now!" she laughed while kicking him out of the bathroom.

A few minutes passed and soon Y/N exited the bathroom with the three tests. "They are cleaned off so you can touch them if you want- we just have to wait a few minute for it to calculate." she told her husband.

Matthew grinned nodded softly, he took a deep breath and sat down on the couch next to Y/N while they waited. His arm was wrapped around her shoulders. She had calmed down a bit now but he could still see how nervous she was.

"So we just wait?" he asked softly.

Y/N nodded. "We just wait."

An agonizing five minutes passed before Y/N's timer on her phone beeped. She looked at matthew and took a deep breath. "Can you read it?" she asked softly.

The man nodded, he leaned forward and picked up the test of of the coffee table. Looking down at the first one, he nodded and let out a small hum. Setting it down, he picked up the second and did the same. Finally the third test was in his grasp and he chuckled. "Well- its unanimous- You're pregnant." he told her.

Y/N gasped in shock and slapped his arm. "Damn you! Almost gave me a heart attack!" Her husband couldn't help but smile. at her and chuckle. The smile on her face was all Matthew had been wanting to see. Pregnant or not, Matthew didn't want to see her fret about this.

"So were really having a baby huh?" Y/N whispered happily, her lips stretching proudly.

Matthew laughed, picking her up and spinning her around. He hugged her tightly before kissing her lips. He was thrilled and he couldn't wait to start a family with her. "Were having a baby."

Y/N nodded. "Were having a baby." she confirmed.