hurt | a. matthews

Summary: 4 times Auston broke your heart and the 1 time you broke his

Requested: Kinda ( 4 times + 1 time w/ Auston?)

The first time Auston had broken Y/N's heart, it was a complete accident. They had grown up together as kids and when he saw her every day in Arizona, it was easy to take her for granted. They were young and stupid, with the world at their feet, it was easy to lose thought of the little things and just how much they meant to one another.

Y/N was sixteen the first time that Auston broke her heart.

He was building up his reputation as a great hockey player and well on his way to earning his spot as an elite prospect. His skills were undeniable and because he travelled so much, Y/N really should have seen it coming. Her sixteenth birthday had been something her and Auston talked about for years, they always watched movies together and planned their birthday parties around the idea that there would be a large lavish party with all of their friends to celebrate.

But as they got older, Y/N's desires changed. She didn't want to have a ton of people at her house. She barely talked to half of them on a regular basis and she knew that having a lot of teenagers around all at once could be the perfect source of drama.

So instead, she just asked to have Auston over. They had planned her birthday get together for the week that Auston had off from hockey, he would be coming home from Washington and then they could spend a night together and just have fun, like old friends. Everything at the house was set up, the pizza was ordered, there were balloons scattered around the house and Y/N's mum had even bought her and Auston a tiny case of beer to share. It wasn't much, but in Y/N's eyes it was perfect.

She had been anticipating Auston's arrival for weeks and she was practically shaking with excitement. They hadn't seen each other in a year and she couldn't wait to wrap her arms around him and give her best friend a hug again.

When Auston was 20 minutes late, Y/N didn't think much of it. She knew that traffic was an issue around this time of night so she brushed it off, but soon 20 minutes became an hour, one hour became two. When the doorbell finally rang, Y/N launched herself from the couch- her heart heavy in her Chest as she raced towards the front door. Swinging it open, she found the delivery man, holding a box of pizza.

That was enough to make the girl break into tears, she pushed away from the door and headed back into the house, her father dealing with the pizza as her mother comforted her. Laying on the couch wrapped in her mother's arms, she couldn't help but cry. Y/N felt like Auston had abandoned her, and while it wasn't on purpose- it still hurt.

The second time Y/N had her heart broken by Auston Matthews was senior prom.

At eighteen years old, the girl was beyond excited to attend graduation, all the hard work was finally paying off and she was one party away from her summer vacation and heading off to university In the fall. Auston had finished out his hockey season in Washington and was back home in Arizona to graduate, the two friends had been spending all their time together, catching up and reuniting after the year they had spent apart.

The two of them had changed, Auston was taller and bulkier than he was a couple years ago, Y/N was taller and grew into her features than she had when she was a kid. They were well on their way to becoming adults and it was noticeable. Through the years, their relationship had shifted slightly. They spent countless hours on the phone when Auston was in Washington, whether it be texting or calling, there was barely a day in which the two hadn't spoken.

Considering how close they were, Y/N assumed that they would be going to Prom together. After all, they had picking out suits and dresses that matched. "So are you picking me up or am I going to your house before the dance?" Y/N asked softly. The two of them were sitting on his bed, the boy's bedroom had become familiar to Y/N over the years and it was like her second home now.