a break from us | f. andersen

Summary: Freddie knows just how busy life can be, but when he starts to see less and less of his girlfriend, he can't help but feel as though she should be putting in more effort. But love is a two way street.

Requested: Yes!

When Y/N had started dating The maple leaf's goaltender, she was very clear about what she wanted. She wasn't into hookups, she wasn't a one-night stand, and she certainly wasn't a puck bunny.

In the beginning, Freddie had been fine with that. He wanted something serious and although Y/N was a bit younger than him- he really enjoyed seeing her act so mature and be sure of what she wanted. He had become the clingy one in their relationship and while he respected her individuality and work ethic, sometimes he wished that she could skip a night or two and join him and the team for dinner, or perhaps show up to a game wearing his jersey- sitting with all the other WAGs.

It was another Friday night and it was game-day, this time Toronto was playing a home game against the Edmonton Oilers. The team had been working so hard and something about tonight told Freddie that they were going to win. He had been working his ass off lately and he was reeling with anticipation.

"I just don't understand why you can't take a break and come to one game." Fred glared slightly, mumbling under his breath as he walked around Y/N's apartment. They had a quick lunch date to make up for the one they missed last week due to Y/N's exam getting moved. But now that the food was cleaned up, she was back on her laptop- studying topics that Freddie wasn't even sure he had heard of.

Tossing a tennis ball back and forth in his hands, he fired them at the wall- beginning his warm up early and training his eyes. In the back of his mind, he knew that he was only doing it to be petty. Y/N had once again denied his request in attending a game, proclaiming that if she didn't study for the final, she wouldn't get good grades.

She was working herself to the bone and while Freddie knew that she was passionate and worried about passing her course- he felt as though she was going to burn out. That and she might ruin their relationship. He had done everything possible to fit into her schedule. Coming to stay in her apartment late at night after the games just so he could sleep in the same bed as her, getting a few hours of cuddles and conversation before he had to be up early the next morning for practice.

But it seemed as though she wasn't making any attempts on her end. Thats what caused the man to turn as red as his hair, his fists clenched as he caught the green furry tennis ball in his palm. Hearing her type away on the laptop only irritated him more- stomping over, he grabbed it and slammed it shut. "Freddie!" Her voice rang out at him in shock.

Glaring hotly, he felt as though he was about to burst. He had put up with the neglect long enough. "You've studied enough Y/N- You ace every single test and I'm tired of never seeing you!" He spoke frustratedly. The girl seemed to huff and pay him no attention as she reached around him for the laptop.

As he held it out of her reach, Y/N felt anger boiling inside of her. "I ace those tests because I study! I don't have the luxury of just going to play sports all the time Fred! I have to get an education and actually work for a living!" She snapped- she knew it was hurtful and uncalled for, Fred had a real job. It may not have been very conventional, but he worked hard to get where he was and she wasn't being fair to him.

Biting his lip, the goalie nodded. He wasn't sure what to do anymore. All he wanted was to spend time with his girlfriend. "Im tired of it Y/N... I'm not dating your laptop- every time were together you're always studying, you only talk about school and its driving me crazy!" He started to explain his concerns, and while he wasn't doing it very calmly, he was pretty sure that he was getting his point across.

"You never attend any of my games! You never come to dinner with the team! You haven't spent the night at my house in two months! Every time I want to make plans with you, you blow me off for a textbook and Professor Hidgins!" He growled. Slamming the laptop into her chest- he caught the way she winced, biting his lip to stop himself from caving and checking if she was okay, he grabbed his keys and jacket.

"If you're not at my game tonight, we're done." Her front door slamming behind him had solidified to her what just happened. He gave her an ultimatum. Either show up to his game and put the books away, or lose him forever.

The girl stewed in her own anger for a few hours, her emotions and frustrations sending her into a whirlwind. After she had gotten over herself, Y/N cried for a little bit- she tried to call Fred and apologize but he wasn't answering her calls. A text would only make things worse, so as much as she wanted to sit down and go through the vocabulary words for the new chapter- she resisted. Locking her laptop in the bedroom as she got ready for the game.

She had texted Steph and asked if she could get picked up for the game with the other girls. Everyone in the group chat was surprised that she would be attending but they were ecstatic. And as they showed up at her apartment, they were certainly not disappointed. Decked out in full maple leafs gear, Y/N was holding a neon pink sign- she had made it rather quickly, and it was a little messy- but it was endearing.

Written in large black block letters was: "I messed up- but im here. That counts as a win right?" It was playful and teetering the lines of funny and offensive considering the maple leaf's current losing streak, but Y/N had really tried.

When the group arrived at the arena, Y/N was shaking with anticipation- the energy in the crowd was electrifying. Normally the women would go up and watch the game from the box- but tonight they had opted for their season seats near the bench- wanting to get Freddie's attention as early as possible.

The task had proven to be quite difficult. The match against the oilers was brutal, the puck flying up and down the ice more times than Y/N could count- between various icing penalties and breakaway passes, she wasn't sure she could keep up. Fred had been so focused on the game that he hadn't noticed the girl sitting by the bench.

But as they were resetting for the puck drop, Mitch skated past the goal tender. "Your girl's over at the bench man- look for the green sign." It was a quick comment, but as soon as the number 16 had skated away- Andersen's eyes were firing towards the home team's bench. There she was with a big sheepish smile across her face- arms in the air as she held up her sign, all the wags around her were waving and he realized they were trying to get his attention.

There was only 15 minutes left in the third period, but Freddie had stopped every attempt the away team took in scoring. He had a fire lit up inside him and he was relieved that Y/N had shown up.

When they came down the tunnel with a win under their belts, Freddie hummed softly. He got changed and took his shower before heading out to greet his girlfriend. "You came." He spoke somewhat bluntly- wanting her to think that he was still mad. He had to make it a little hard for her, he couldn't just forgive her because she made a sign and wore his jersey.

Pouting, she took his hands and nodded. "Of course I came- I love you... I wasn't being fair to you. You've done nothing support my dreams, the least I can do is show up and support yours.." She began. Taking a deep breath, her cheeks flushed and she gulped. "Im going to make a change Freddie. No more 6 hour long study sessions. Im making you my priority... and thats the way it should have been from the start." She promised him.

As she met his gaze, she was praying that he could see how sorry she was- and just how much he meant to her. "Do you forgive me?" She asked tentatively, lacing their fingers and she took a heavy breath.

Rolling his eyes, Fred leaned in and captured her lips in a soft kiss. "The sign was cute... and you better hold your end of the bargain." He chuckled softly.

They were gonna be just fine.