the end | a. matthews

Summary: Y/N can't help but feel brushed aside when Auston starts to become distant, an argument leads to some heavy emotions being thrown into the open.

Based off Prompt #9 from 'prompt list 2.0'

If there was one thing that Y/N told herself when she started seeing Auston Matthews, it was 'don't get attached' But try as she might, that was exactly what she did. The media had painted him out to be this womanizer that only cared about himself and getting his dick wet, and while Y/N definitely had that assumption about him when they first met, the closer they got, the more she realized that Auston was nowhere near the man the people said he was.

He was kind, loyal and maybe a little rough around the edges, but it was certain that his mother had raised him right. The hockey player had been nothing but respectful towards Y/N, he called her after every game, texted her to make sure that she was okay almost hourly and whenever they were apart due to road trips, he managed to have a bouquet of flowers delivered straight to her door.

So even though Y/N had promised herself that she wouldn't get attached, it was hard not to.

Which is what made her pain all the more unbearable once Auston started pulling away from her. They had only been dating for a little over 6 months, but in that time- Y/N had fallen harder than she had ever before. She had grown accustomed to the routine that the pair had set up. Whether it was staying over at each other's apartments after a night out, wearing his jersey to the games and sitting with the WAGs or simply just spending hours on the phone when they really should have been sleeping, Y/N had fallen in love with Auston Matthews and now he was breaking her heart.

It was almost subtle at first. Auston slowly began to pull out of their plans- hockey was his main excuse, but it quickly turned into being 'too tired from practice' or that he was 'under the weather'. Either way, Auston had started becoming distant and with every plan that got cancelled or text that Y/N didn't receive she was breaking.

They had never gone official with their relationship but the media definitely knew that Auston was seeing Y/N. They didn't know her name since she wasn't following him on any social media and vice versa- but the internet had dawned her 'Matthews' girl' Sometimes it was refreshing to see the nice comments people had about their relationship online, but a majority of the time- Y/N was only greeted with hate and critical comments.

It was heartbreaking to see that Y/N had been so oblivious to Auston's actions. The internet had noticed before she had and that was when she realized it was an issue. There was an obvious absence of her attendance at his games, not for lack of trying- Y/N always tried to make herself free, but Auston had reassured her that she didn't need to be there and that he wanted her to focus on her own things.

The final straw was when she had to find out that he was on a roadie from the instagram page. He had failed to mention it the last time they spoke which seemed like ages ago and Y/N suddenly realized that had also been the last time they had sex. Almost a 3 weeks ago, she had barely heard from Auston- other than quick texts every few days just to check up on one another.

The woman honestly felt stupid at her lack of attention, maybe she was living in the love bubble and now it had finally popped- maybe she had made this whole relationship up in her head and Auston wanted nothing more than a friends with benefits situation. Maybe he regretted asking her out in the first place.

Nonetheless, Y/N picked up the courage to drive to his apartment, she knew he had only just gotten back from the Roadie a couple ours ago, but she was upset and she couldn't wait for answers any longer. Abandoning her apartment and quickly walking though the snow to her car- she climbed into the driver's seat and started the ignition, trying to formulate what she was going to say on the drive over.