Chapter 4 - A History

You hold your breath and wiggle as gently as possible from Loki's slack grip. Sliding from your warm bed, you inhale sharply as the cold morning air hits your skin. You freeze, turning slowly to look at Loki, still fast asleep. 

Relieved you hadn't woken him, you silently grab your sweater from the chair in the corner of the room, slipping it on and sitting in the cozy window seat of your bedroom, pulling the folded blanket on the bench over your bare legs as you stare out over the fields below. 

The sun hasn't risen, yet the weak pre-dawn light casts a silver haze on the world outside your window - serene, and still. You take a deep breath and close your eyes, committing to memory the view. You are going to miss it when you go.

You feel tears begin to well beneath your closed eyelids as you think about the life you are leaving behind. For a moment, anger settles over your heart. Anger at Odin. At Amora. At yourself. 

"Y/n?"

You jump slightly at the hand on your shoulder, and the cold fingertips that graze your neck and collarbone. Your eyes fly open and you look up at Loki, who gazes back, concerned.

"Are you all right, darling?" he asks you softly, rubbing sleep from his eyes.

"Yeah...yeah, I'm fine," you say with a fake smile.

"Don't do that," Loki says sternly, kneeling beside you and taking your hands in his. 

"Do what?" you laugh weakly. 

"Pretend you're okay when you're not."

"Loki, I'm fine. Really. Go back to bed," You let out a quiet laugh, but Loki's brow furrows.

"You really are a terrible liar," he says softly. 

Your fake smile falters as you gaze into his green eyes, full of compassion and worry. You look out the window once more before looking back to Loki, who waits patiently for you to speak. He knows you still struggle to verbalize your emotions. After everything you went through with HYDRA, you had relied for so long on keeping yourself numb. 

"I'm just...really, really sad Lo," you say, allowing a single tear to fall. 

Loki gives you an understanding smile, and stands. He puts a hand on your back, pushing gently to ask you to scoot up and make space for him to sit with you. You allow it, and feel him slide in behind you, reaching around and pulling you back into his chest. You let your head rest on his shoulder as he traces lines and patterns with his finger on your arm. 

Tell me why you're sad, darling.

You sigh. You know that Loki knows why you're sad - that's why he had started speaking telepathically. But he's giving you the chance to tell him yourself. You relax into him as you think your words clearly in your mind.