Chapter 57 - Twisted Vengeance

You hit the ground. Hard.

The breath is knocked from your lungs as you see stars and your vision begins to fade to pinpricks. And although you wish to ease the ache in your back, the burning cords of magic around your wrists serve as a reminder and a warning not to try and use your seidr again.

"Elskede, darling, are you all right?"

Loki's voice, far away, calls to you. But you feel his hands on you.

You fight the tiny beads of light, squeezing your eyes shut as you take deep breaths, trying to steady yourself. 

Your body aches.

What just happened?

"Loki," you whimper, your voice coming out much weaker than you had anticipated.

"Shh, darling, save your strength," he says. You feel him pull you into his lap, his fingers now in your hair.

"Wh-what happened?" you ask.

"A dark portal, darling. You've just traveled using dark energy. It is not a comfortable experience," he says.

You feel your vision returning, but as it does, so too does the pain wracking your entire body.

Loki's concerned face comes into view, and you notice his illusions are gone. You are both back to your normal forms. You try to lift a hand to his cheek, but the trauma of the travel suddenly makes you nauseous. You push from Loki's lap, crawling on your hands and knees several paces away and heave into the ground. You feel Loki come up behind you as he gathers your hair, holding it as you empty the contents of your stomach.

Once done, you wipe your mouth and Loki pulls you back to him, placing a kiss on your forehead.

"Touching," says a cold, cruel voice.

You and Loki both freeze.

Looking around, you see nothing. Just an empty, cold ice cavern.

But you recognize that voice.

"Amora," you say.

The moment you say her name, her illusion falls. The ice cave turns to one of dirt and grime decorated in luxury. Woven rugs cover the stone floors, shelves of books and flowers and oddities line the crumbling cavern walls. An iron chandelier hangs from its ceiling.

Loki stands and immediately puts himself between you and the Enchantress, who simply stalks the two of you from several paces away.

"I'm disappointed in you, Y/n of Midgard. It appears you did not fulfill your end of our bargain after all," she purrs, pacing slowly.