Chapter 82 - Quick Sand

Omi was right. Dying didn't hurt. Not even for a moment.

That's your first thought as you feel something cold in your hand. Not a bad cold. Just...cold.

But it's dark. Too dark. And your head hurts. 

Well, it doesn't hurt, it's just...heavy.

Fighting through the dark, you feel a strange buzzing sensation. Focusing on what feels like breathing, these sensations spreading throughout your body make it feel like you're swimming through quick sand. 

As you push and push and push against the dark resistance, you swim to the surface - a bright light calling you in the distance. 

You reach for it, fighting with everything you have to grab hold of it. 

And finally, your eyes flutter open.

The brightness causes you to wince. You can't feel the rest of your body yet, and it takes a moment for your surroundings to come into focus. But when they do, you recognize the patterned ceiling. 

You're in the healing ward?

That cold feeling in your hand catches your attention. You slowly turn your head to find a sprawling mess of dark locks on the covers. Loki's hand is in yours as he leans forward from his chair, asleep with his cheek on your bed.

Seeing Loki sends a rush of adrenaline through your body. You try to speak, to callout, but you can't. Not yet. You haven't fully shaken the strange buzzing feeling from your muscles.

You force yourself to take several slow, deep breaths. Focusing on breathing in and out. 

But breathing feels...different. Easy. So easy. Was breathing always this effortless?

Then the buzzing. 

You feel it tickle your toes, your fingers, and everything in between. It's a paralytic. It holds you in place. Fighting against that heavy weight of the buzzing, you can feel it slowly begin to recede until your toes twitch. 

As the buzzing subsides, you once more begin to feel your body. Every muscle, every joint. 

You start to twitch, desperate to get Loki's attention. As you move you expect to feel pain. Instead you find an unexpected neutrality as you squeeze Loki's fingers gently.

No pain.

"Lo," you whisper weakly through a dry throat and cracked lips. 

You feel Loki stir and watch as he lifts his head, brushing his long, dark locks from his face. His eyes droop as the dark circles beneath them tell you he hasn't really been getting any sleep. 

He looks down at your hand in his and lets out a sad, tired sigh. He brings your hand to his lips, placing a gentle kiss on your knuckles before resting his cheek upon the top of your hand, laying down once more and closing his eyes.