Chapter 28 - Projections

A cold hand grabs your wrist as you swing it, yanking your body forward as sweet caresses of mint and honeyed breath fondle your cheeks. Your heart flutters and your cheeks grow warm.

"Always sweep the leg, darling. They'll be expecting the punch."

"Loki," you breathe out. But you manage nothing else before Loki's lips are on yours.

He holds you gently, running his fingers down your cheek as he pulls you in by your waist. 

"I've missed you, kærasta," he mumbles against your lips with a smile.

For several long minutes, Loki kisses you deeply and slowly. There's no urgency in his movements, as if you both have all the time in the world to reacquaint yourselves with one another. 

Once your breath grows short, and your mind begins to clear you break the kiss and open your eyes to stare into his emerald gaze.  How you have missed those devilish eyes.

"Are you well, my love?" asks Loki as his thumb drifts lazily over your bottom lip.

"I'm better," you answer.

Loki smiles, and wraps his arms around you once more, pulling you into his chest. In the quiet, early morning hours he simply holds you in the great hall. You rest your head on his chest re-familiarizing yourself with his heartbeat as Loki runs his fingers through your hair - his silent way of saying you matter to him.

"Why are you here, Lo? Is there a lead? Where's our son?"' you ask quietly, never wanting the moment to end, but desperate to understand what's happening.

"Hush, love. I can feel the weariness in your body. You haven't been sleeping well. Why?" Loki counters.

You let out a tired sigh and lean further into him. You aren't sure how he knows, but he's right.

"I guess I was just missing you," you mutter quietly. "It was quiet here without you."

Loki laughs quietly, deeply within his chest as he presses light kisses to the top of your head.

"My love, you know that even when we are apart you are a constant fixture in my mind. Not a moment goes by that I do not think of you. Not a moment goes by that I can't think of you. The Goddesses have fated it such. You are never without me."

Your heart leaps and your stomach feels like it's been dropped out a window at Loki's words. You know he's speaking the truth, because you feel the same. 

It's an overwhelming and powerful love you feel for Loki. Not just lust or attraction, but an all-consuming and desperate need to protect, support, provide, and comfort the man before you. Even at the expense of your own health and happiness.

And when you're apart? Well, it's like...like a string that's been snipped in two, a painful space between their frayed edges.