Chapter 19 - High Treason

Rubbing your sore arm, you thank Banner for his help, and in a flash of icy blue you're standing on the massive balcony. You let your eyes adjust for a moment to the sunlight and spot Loki leaning against the railing, gazing down upon the city below. 

You watch him for a moment, enjoying how the light breeze stirs his long, raven locks. But you only enjoy the scene for a moment before he senses you behind him and turns.

"Are you ready, kærasta?" Loki says, making his way to you.

You nod, and watch in awe as Loki uses his seidr to change from his standard Asgardian robes into his gold and green war garb. You've seen these before, and have always marveled at the sturdy golden metal plating that runs across his chest and shoulders. 

But the horns are new. 

You remember a few news clips several years ago immediately after the attack on Manhattan. Loki had worn the golden headdress then. But he hadn't ever worn them again. Not that you'd seen.

You wonder what's inspired him to put them back on, and get a sinking feeling in your stomach. Whatever Loki is anticipating, clearly it's serious enough to warrant his headdress.

Gingerly, you reach out and touch the golden horns. Your curiosity, and concern, must be written plainly across your face as Loki answers the question you haven't even yet spoken aloud.

"Better to be prepared, should force be required to recover our son," he says quietly, allowing your fingers to drift across his headdress.

"You really believe we'd have to fight your mother?" you ask solemnly.

"No. But I won't hesitate to do so if need be."

The pit in your stomach grows larger as Loki suddenly reaches into his pocket and pulls out something you can't believe you had almost left behind.

"My ribbon!" you exclaim.

"You left it on the dresser near my dagger. I figured you'd want it," says Loki with a smile, placing it gently in your outstretched palm.

"Thank you," you whisper, looking down at it. 

Over the years it has become well-worn, with frayed edges and broken fibers. You no longer weave it into your hair for fear of destroying it. But you still hold it close to your heart.

"Here," says Loki, gently placing his hand beneath yours and hovering his other hand above.

A bright, green glow from his palm completely surrounds the ribbon, and you watch as the unraveled threads are pulled back in, and the frayed edges disappear. After a moment, the green light fades, and the golden ribbon looks much, much sturdier. 

Not quite new. Clearly still worn. But back in one piece.