Chapter 76 - The Key

Hands shaking, you slowly hand Loki's metal binding cuff to Odin, whose gaze narrows as the corners of his mouth are pulled into a tight frown.

"You have made a foolish choice, girl." 

His voice echoes through the empty war room as Frigga and Thor remain silent.

"However," the Allfather continues. "I, too, made an unwise decision in allowing him to accompany the three of you," Odin exhales, collapsing into his regal chair at the head of the table. "I know my son not to be worthy of our trust, and yet I let my guilt cloud my judgment."

You move to stand once more at the opposite end of the table, head bowed as tears fall silently down your cheeks. 

Once Thor had learned that it had been Loki to steal the Tablet, he had obtained Njörðr's blessing to return to Asgard. Heimdall had transported the both of you back quickly, leaving Fandral to accompany the horses. 

That was your condition. 

You would travel through the Bifrost, but only if someone you trusted brought back Trygve. It was the least you could do for Loki.

Now, as you stand before the King and Queen, having told them all that had come to pass in the prior two days, you're left feeling empty. Tired. Angry. 

"You're wrong, Allfather," you say, your head still bowed. "Loki is just as worthy of trust as any of us in this room."

Odin scoffs, but seems too tired to argue so you continue.

"What happened in Vanaheim isn't his fault...it's mine," you say, reaching into the hidden pocket of your tactical suit, and pulling out the photo of Loki and Anthony.

Looking up for the first time you meet Odin's eye, but immediately shift your gaze to Frigga. Slowly, you approach her, handing her the photo.

"Oh, my child," she gasps quietly as she takes the photo delicately in her fingers. 

"He found it," you whimper. "It wasn't supposed to happen this way."

Frigga stares at the photo in her hands, her eyes growing misty as she looks upon the photo of her son and grandson, a hand over her heart. A single tear drops gently down her cheek as she looks back to you - understanding in her eyes.

"When he saw that picture," you say, "he broke, Omi."

Frigga's tears begin to fall freely as she struggles to tear her gaze away from the photograph she holds so gingerly.

"H-he couldn't handle it and I...I forced a connection with him. To look inside his mind. They were there! His memories were right there. But I couldn't reach them before he pulled me out," you say weakly. "Now he believes I'm a spy for you, Allfather," you say, turning to Odin. "Sent to read his mind. Perhaps control it, I don't know. And he...he snapped."