Chapter 26 - A Brother's Rough Hand

"And your defensive screen?" Frigga commands.

Without having to think, a simple flick of your hands conjures a strong, steady shield of transparent icy-blue light in front of you. Frigga unleashes a torrent of magical attacks, and you hold it in place. As her attacks grow stronger, and more relentless, you plant your feet, and a bead of sweat trickles down your forehead, but you don't budge.

Finally, the attacks stop.

"Very well done my dear. I am impressed by your progress in only two weeks."

"Has it only been two weeks?" you ask, wiping your forehead with your arm. "It feels like it's been a month."

Frigga lets out a bright and melodious laugh that echoes around the great golden hall.

"I am sure that it does feel that way when separated from your love and your child."

You think about Loki. You wonder how he's doing on his own with the family. You hope everyone is still in one piece.

"Have you given any more thought to your token, dear?" asks Frigga.

"My token?"

"Yes, dear. The gift you intend to give Loki upon his return."

"Oh. Um, actually yes, I have," you say, your cheeks turning red. You had spent the last week thinking critically about what you could possibly give to Loki. Believe it or not, a thousand-year-old God is difficult to shop for.

"And what have you decided?" Frigga asks with a smile. 

"Actually, I was going to ask you for your help, Your Highness," you say bashfully.

"Of course, dear," she says, arching one brow, intrigued.

"I was in the library a few days ago and read about a warrior's enchantment. It seemed old. Ancient, even. But it was an enchantment that summons a warrior's weapon back to its sheath...I was wondering if there was a way to, maybe, change it a little?" you ask.

"Hmmm...a fascinating idea. What did you have in mind?" Frigga replies.

"I'll be right back," you say, disappearing in a flash of blue. When you land, you find yourself in your room. Reaching into the top drawer, you pull out the dagger Loki left behind.

You had insisted he leave right away, and he hadn't had the chance to take it with him. And you find yourself glad that he hadn't.

Grabbing the dagger, its sheath, and the tome of enchantments you had taken from the library several nights earlier you teleport back to the great hall where Frigga waits patiently. You walk up to her and pull Loki's dagger from its sheath, handing it to her.

"My, what a beautiful piece!" Frigga exclaims, holding it in her hand. "Its balance is impeccable."