Chapter 21 - Epiphanies

Loki had spoken to you once about music. He had described how a melody, seemingly simple and predictable, could be thrown into disarray - utter chaos - with the inclusion of a single flat. 

This hugatöfrar? It is the flat.

Your mind reels as you try to comprehend the implications of what Loki has just explained to you. The Allfather, King of Asgard, under mind control? Is that even possible?

As your own mind reels, Loki turns his attention back to his mother. Thor, on the other hand, stands from the couch and moves to you, taking your arm and guiding you to the other loveseat. He takes your hand in his as his sits beside you. You're too distracted to notice.

Loki watches this interaction with a narrowed gaze, but continues questioning Frigga.

"And his hamr?" Loki asks.

"Untouched," answers Frigga.

"Curious," Loki muses, before launching into another tirade of questions that you don't understand.

Desperately trying to follow along, you suddenly catch Thor's quiet whisper.

"Be calm, my lady. We will explain all to you."

You feel your racing heart slow at Thor's reassurance.

"Thanks," you whisper back, not wanting to interrupt Loki and Frigga's conversation. "But you know I'm still furious with you for taking my son, right?" you hiss, tossing him an angry glare.

"I apologize, my lady. I hope you know I would never harm the child," says Thor earnestly, his blue eyes seeking forgiveness and understanding.

"Unless your father orders it," you snap.

Thor winces, and tears his gaze from yours, looking down at the floor.

"I...I was foolish to follow my father so blindly," says Thor. You can hear the regret in his voice. 

"Yes, you were," you answer coldly, pulling your hand from Thor's. 

"Something you two would like to share?" Loki sneers, looking over at you and Thor on the couch. Your slightly raised voice at Thor had caught his attention.

You stand and move to the middle of the room, halfway between Thor and Loki.

"Yeah, actually," you say, sending Loki and Frigga a challenging stare. "I'm tired of being left out of the conversation."

"Come, dear. Sit," says Frigga calmly, patting the place beside her on the sofa. 

You move to her side and take a seat, casting expecting glances between Loki and his mother.