Chapter 72 - Fireflies

By the time the four of you emerge from the woods the sun has set completely, leaving only the two moons of Asgard and the stars to light the path forward.

As Trygve follows steadily behind Thor, Loki to your side and Fandral before him, you gasp at the beautiful open plains that roll gently across the landscape as far as the eye can see.

"These are the Meadowlands," Loki says quietly. The first words he's spoken in hours. "They stretch for miles. And they mark the completion of two-thirds of our journey," he says quietly.

"They're beautiful," you say, watching as the wallowtails ripple in the gentle breeze. Scanning the horizon, you watch the reeds as they bend in the wind, making it look like waves upon the ocean. Only instead of water, it's golden grain. Against the starry backdrop, the Meadowlands are unlike anything you've ever seen before.

"I used to travel here as a child," whispers Loki, loudly enough for you to hear, but quietly enough to keep his words a secret from Thor and Fandral, two horse lengths ahead.

"I can see why," you say with a smile.

In silence, you ride until Thor spots a small dell among the wallowtails. Cut and cleared by the Einherjar who rode ahead.

"We shall stop here for the night," says Thor, guiding Magni to the edge of the clearing and dismounting. You follow, and swing your leg over Trygve.

"Y/n, wait. Let me-"

"Woah!"

You heard Loki call out to you, but you had already started sliding down from Trygve's back. The moment your legs hit the ground you nearly collapse. Luckily, Loki is faster than you, and manages to catch you before you fall completely to the ground.

"Ow," you say, shaking out your legs. "Why am I so sore?"

"You've just ridden for a day never having ridden on your own before, darling," Loki says, helping you to your feet. He then changes his mind and picks you up entirely, carrying you bridal style to the middle of the clearing and setting you down.

"Thanks," you mumble, massaging your thighs.

"I will take care of the horses," Loki says. "I will return."

Letting out a sigh, you lay on your back and look up at the stars, tracing them as your eyes jump from cluster to cluster.

After a while, all three men make their way to you in the clearing. Loki sits beside you on the ground as Thor and Fandral sit opposite. Loki immediately reaches for your weapons belt, which you have already removed and set aside. He grabs the dagger from its sheath and pulls it out, admiring the blade.

"This is an impressive weapon," he mutters, balancing the dagger in his hand.

"You like it?" you ask.

"It is not of the Dvergar."

"No, it's from Midgard. My family had it made," you say.

Loki admires it for a moment longer before re-sheathing it, an awkward silence settling over the group.

"Well, this is cozy," says Fandral, looking around the dark, empty clearing.

"Our little witch could do something about that," Loki says nonchalantly.

"M-me?" you stammer.