Chapter 71 - Nicknames

The moment the golden doors open, Loki is at your side. 

Your side. 

Not Thor's. 

Not Fandral's. 

Yours.

"Inform me on what has happened," Loki hisses.

"Get packed, Mischief," you answer simply. "We're going on a trip."

Loki arches a puzzled brow and opens his mouth to speak, but Thor interrupts.

"Go and gather what you require, my lady," Thor says quietly. "We shall meet you atop the palace steps. Brother?"

Thor beckons for Loki to follow him and Fandral, but Loki crosses his arms stubbornly and remains at your side. 

Thor cocks one brow, and shrugs. "Very well," he says, turning to look at you. "Fandral and I will await your presence, my lady. Be swift."

You nod and take Loki's arm, pulling him with you down the hall.

"Speak, woman. Explain," he hisses. "What is with all this secrecy?"

"We're moving the Tablet," you say quietly. "Right now. Thor already has it hidden on him. We're meeting with a few Einherjar at the stables, then leaving."

"And I'm to accompany you?" Loki whispers, stunned.

"Of course. You're one of us," you smile, reaching your door. "Wait here," you say to Loki's confused face.

Shutting the door, you move to your dresser and pull from it Loki's weapons belt. You fasten it around your waist and pull his dagger from the sheath, holding it in your hand. You smile as your fingers curl around the cool onyx handle.

Re-sheathing the blade, the glint of Loki's black metal band catches your eye. You hesitate for a moment, but slip it into the front pocket of your tactical suit.

"Okay," you breath out, reassuring yourself as your nerves begin to flutter slightly in your chest. You have no idea what you're going to face on your way to Vanaheim. You can only hope that Odin's efforts to keep this journey a secret have been enough to keep Amora ignorant.

You take a few steps back to the door to join Loki, but the photos on your bedside table catch your attention. You rush over and shove them both inside the drawer, but hesitate when you see Loki's smile.

Gingerly, you pick up the worn photograph of Loki and Anthony once more, a smile on your lips as you feel your heart strain against your chest - equal parts longing and grief.

Suddenly the door flies open. 

"Let's go," hisses Loki, staring at you.