Chapter 46 - Lies

"So you've tracked her to Jötunheim. And how may I ask have you managed to accomplish such a feat? The peace accords in place prevent any Asgardian from stepping foot in the Frost Realm, Allfather," says King Njörðr arching a suspicious brow.

Odin casts an angry glare at the King as he scoffs, ignoring the implication. "Amora has an ally in Jötunheim who has betrayed her, sending Asgard information on her progress and position."

"And again I ask how you received this information," Njörðr presses.

"You presume a physical Asgardian presence to be the only way in which I keep an eye on the Nine and acquire knowledge," Odin replies pointedly.

"Ah yes," the dark-haired king replies. "Your all-seeing, all-hearing, and all-knowing gatekeeper. And how is it that he can receive this information from Amora's supposed ally in Jötunheim yet not be able to tell us exactly where she is within the realm itself?"

You furrow your brow as you follow the conversation. Whatever game of politics is being played here, you find yourself watching the Allfather walk a delicate line.

"Amora has concealed herself, and killed the one who had been feeding us this information. But before she slit his throat he was able to deliver a final message. That as she translates the inscriptions she has stolen, she grows in power, loosening my bonds. Heimdall also sees the movement of both the giants and the dwarves. She is gathering forces. And they stand ready to invade, pending a weakness in Asgardian defenses," says Odin.

"And we need not remind Your Majesties," says Thor darkly, "that should the Jötnar break through to Asgard it is but a short walk to your thresholds."

An uncomfortable silence falls over the room as you hang back from the circle of men at the large war table, Frigga by your side.

"But why now?" Freyr's unearthly voice calls out. "She's been dormant for centuries. In fact, the last anyone heard from her she was...relatively helpful."

You notice Loki tense as Freyr shoots a glare his way. 

"We know not," Thor responds. "But our intelligence is credible. The threat is pronounced."

"If you speak truth, Amora poses an immediate threat to Asgard and a distant threat to us," says Njörðr. "What do you intend to do about her?"

Odin stands up straighter, and puffs out his chest slightly.

"My sons and the Lady Y/n will be sent to apprehend the witch. In the meantime, I intend to relocate the Tablet, as it is clearly not safe here in Asgard's Vault," he says.

"And to where do you intend to move it?" asks Freyr.

"This is why I have summoned you, old friends," says Odin, letting out a tired sigh. "I believe it best for the Tablet to remain in the Vanaheim Vault, guarded by an elect regiment of Einherjar from Asgard, Galdramenn from Vanaheim, and Ljósálfar warriors from Alfheim."