Chapter 65 - Polish and Scars

"Are you afraid of yet another defeat, my lady?" teases Fandral from across the dueling pitch. 

"In your dreams, Romeo," you call out, tossing down the lance Fandral has been teaching you how to use. "I'm trying to save you from yet another humiliating defeat," you laugh.

"She speaks truth, Fandral!" a voice booms from near the palace doors leading into the kitchens. Turning, you see Thor. "I have watched your rounds and my little sister has bested you twice!"

"You seem to have missed that I have laid her in the dirt five or six times more, friend!" calls out Fandral with a laugh as he picks up the lances and begins putting away the equipment.

You quickly use your seidr to clean yourself of the dirt and sweat and grim leftover from your early morning sparring with Fandral, and twist your bracelet. Your tactical suit recedes and the simple kyrtill beneath comes into view.

"I thought you were leaving for Midgard?" you ask smiling, walking up to Thor.

"That is where I head now, my lady," he says with a smile as he holds out his arms, welcoming you into a hug and kissing the top of your head. You breathe in his scent and smile. 

"Be safe," you whisper as you let him go.

"I will return in a few days, sister. Keep your spirits high while I am gone, hmm?" he says, placing a hooked finger gently under your chin to lift it, and gazing at you firmly, yet gently into your eyes.

"I will," you say with a small smile. "I feel much better today. Fandral helped me work out some of my frustration this morning," you say, jerking a thumb over your shoulder to where Fandral is still picking up various pieces of equipment.

"Good," nods Thor. "Then I am off. Farewell sister, my friend!"

You laugh to yourself and shake your head as Thor lumbers off proudly towards the Bifrost, his shoulders thrown back and his cape fluttering around his heels. 

What a stupid, beautiful, kind, thoughtful idiot. You find yourself grateful to have him.

"You should hurry, Lady Y/n," Fandral calls out to you. 

"Pardon?" you answer.

"You're already late for Loki's lunch."

"Oh shit," you say. "Thanks! I'll catch you later," you shout back, dashing for the palace doors that lead to the kitchens.

As you move quickly through the halls, you spot that lovely little girl, feather duster in hand, about to round the stairs.

"Thyra!" you call out.

She stops and turns, her eyes alighting upon spotting you.