Chapter 73 - Space

"He'll return, little sister," says Thor as he paces by the fire.

"And if he doesn't?" you ask, silent tears streaming down your face. "Gods, Thor. I was so stupid!" you sob.

"This is not your fault, my lady," says Fandral from across the fire.

"I got too close I...I should have stepped back. I should have given him space. I should have just given him some goddamn space," you say angrily, a pulse of ice blue seidr flying from your hand as it scorches the nearby wallowtails.

Thor and Fandral look at you in shock.

After a quiet moment Thor walks to your side, dropping down into the dirt and sitting next to you, pulling you into his arms and pressing gentle kisses to the top of your head.

"He loves you, sister," Thor says. "He doesn't know why. And you are the embodiment of everything he has ever believed himself to detest."

"Wow, thanks Thor, you're really helping," you choke out.

Thor laughs.

"I tell you this because it does not surprise me that he is fighting against your bond. At least he hasn't tried to kill himself this time 'round."

You let out an unwilling laugh at Thor's dark humor as he releases you, standing and walking back to the horses. He returns with three bedrolls and sets them up for each of you.

"What about Loki?" you ask.

"If he returns tonight, he will be able to conjure his own sleeping arrangements," Thor says, helping you to snuggle into the soft bedroll before kneeling over you and placing a warm, soft kiss on your forehead.

"Rest, sister. Tomorrow we journey to Vanaheim."

You let out a frustrated sigh as Thor stamps out the campfire and he and Fandral both find their own bedrolls.

It isn't long before two sets of snoring cut through the night.

But you can't sleep.

Sitting up, you reach out a hand and conjure a soft bed mat, similar to yours, several long paces away. Giving him plenty of space.

Just in case he comes back.

One final flick of your fingers casts a small, friendly glowing orb above the made-up bed mat - bathing it in a subtle glow. So it will be easy for him to find.

Settling back in, your mind replays the events with Loki near the lake over and over again until you feel yourself slipping into a light sleep, plagued by moving shadows and dense forests.

You find the trees around you growing taller as the dark grows more oppressive.

A shriek from a bird overhead causes your heart to pound as you once more find yourself racing through the trees, trying desperately to reach that light in the distance.

"Loki!" you scream, reaching out a hand as you draw nearer.

But you can feel it gaining on you. Turning your head, you spot a long, blank face with black orbs for eyes. You fall, and desperately try to rise back to your feet. But you can't. You fall again, and again, and again as the creature gains on you.

"LOKI!" you scream as it nears, reaching out it's curved talons, reaching for your throat.

"LOKI!"