Chapter 59 - Unlikely

You hold Loki's hand in yours, and trace his long fingers gently as as you hum softly. A simple melody in a minor key. The one that Loki hums when his mind is preoccupied. You smile at the green and gold on your nails. The colors contrast against his pale skin.

"You should get some rest, Y/n," says a voice from behind.

Turning, you find Sif standing in the archway of the healing ward. You smile, and turn your attention back to Loki's hand, threading your fingers through his, holding them gently.

"Thanks. But I'm fine," you say.

"It's been four days, Y/n. You need proper rest. I will sit with him until you return."

"Thank you, but...I can't leave him, Sif. I saw what she did to him I-I...I heard his screams and, well, I have to be here when he wakes up. I just have to," you say.

Sif lets out a sigh. "Then, may I?" she asks, gesturing at the empty space next to you.

You nod, and she pulls over a chair from nearby.

You and Sif sit in a comfortable silence. But soon you feel the atmosphere grow heavy. Tense. You cast a sideways glance at Sif and notice she has started picking at her nails. She looks up, feeling your gaze. As her eyes meet yours, she gives you a sad smile.

"Thor told me everything," she says quietly. "All of the horrible things Amora put you through. I'm sorry," she says, her voice strong, but a lingering sadness below.

"It's my fault," you say. "She was watching me. She came up with this entire plan when I came to be healed. I should have just been patient," you say through gritted teeth. "If I had just been patient, maybe I wouldn't have gotten hurt on that mission. I wouldn't have had to come here she wouldn't have ever seen me I-I..." you trail off, fighting the wavering in your voice.

"This is not your fault, my lady," Sif says, gently taking your free hand in hers. "If anything, it is mine," she says after a quiet moment.

"What?" you gasp. "No, Sif...why would you say that?"

Sif lets go of your hand and begins picking at her nails once more as she bites her lip. 

"I'm the one who pointed you to Amora. I put you directly in her path."

"But her interference started way before that. She would have gotten to me either way," you say. "This is NOT your fault, Sif," you say firmly. She glances back at you with appreciative eyes.

"You are kind to say so, my lady."

Sif falls quiet, but you can tell she has more on her mind. You wait for a moment to see if she will speak, but she doesn't.

"What's wrong?" you ask her.

"I...I wish that he had told me," she says. "You know, before. Before all this."