*Chapter 17 - A Dance*

Those assholes, you think to yourself, fuming.

Bursting through the door to your room, you slam it behind you as Tony and Bruce's observations about your body replay in your mind.

Heading straight for the mirror, you look yourself up and down - turning to the side and craning to see yourself from all angles.

You have never really been comfortable in your own skin. But you had managed to find some sort of peace and self-confidence over the years with Loki, who never failed to make you feel beautiful. You had criticized yourself for so many years, that when you finally felt Loki's love, you allowed yourself to try approval instead. And it had felt so, so good.

Funny, how thoughtless words spoken in only a moment can destroy a lifetime of intentional effort.

Letting out a breath, you force yourself to turn away from the mirror and lay on your bed. But you're only there for a moment when you hear Loki's voice telepathically projected in your head.

Darling, will you join me?

You smile, hearing Loki's voice in your head.

I'm on my way, you think loudly and clearly as you feel Loki's presence ebb from your mind.

Breathing out to steady and calm yourself, you put up your mental barriers to ensure Loki doesn't see the hurt you're hiding inside. He's processing his own emotional issues right now. No need to burden him with yours.

Rising from your bed, you quickly make your way through the tower until you stand before the massive library doors. Giving them a hard shove, you step through and wind through the aisles towards the back staircase.

Usually hidden in darkness, a warm glow from the hearth within lights the top of the stairs. You climb them, wondering how Loki's feeling. He's been on his own in the hidden room for an hour or two now - has it been long enough for him to decompress?

"Lo?" you call out, peeking around the corner.

You see him laying on the red leather couch by the hearth, flat on his back, watching the shadows created by the flames of the hearth as they dance on the ceiling. As he hears you call out to him, he lifts his head and smiles at you softly, beckoning you over to the sofa.

"Come, my love. Sit with me," he says.

Eagerly, you slide next to him on the couch, laying on your side with your hand on his chest and your head on his shoulder.

"You okay?" you ask quietly as he begins running his fingers through your hair.

"I am more than okay, my heart. I am...complete. Utterly, and invincibly complete," he says, pressing a kiss to your forehead. "And you, ástin mín? Are you all right?" he says, clearly feeling guilty about his earlier words to you.

"Yeah, Lo. I'm okay," you say with a smile at the use of a new nickname.

Loki holds you in silence for a few moments. But you can feel that he's still tense. There's more on his mind. But you lay with him in the quiet and give him the time he needs to organize his thoughts and say what he needs to say.

"It's beautiful," Loki says quietly, as you both watch the flickering patterns of light on the ceiling. They seem to tell a story as they twist and tumble from high to low.

"Mhmm," you hum. "I'm glad we have a bit of light."

"No, not the light," Loki says softly. "The dark."