Chapter 70 - Directives

You're woken to a series of light knocks on your door. Not heavy-handed enough to be Thor, and not as incessant as Fandral's knocking. Yet not quite so delicate as Frigga's hand.

Confused, you pull yourself from bed and adjust the thin strap of your white nightgown on your shoulder. Rubbing your eyes, you make your way across the room and open the door.

"Who is-"

You gasp, and squeak slightly as you see Loki standing outside your door, fully dressed in his princely garb. His hair is let down and flowing onto his shoulders. Curiously enough, you see something in it you've never seen before - a subtle braid woven into his hair on the side, almost identical to the one you had worn out riding the day prior. Almost unidentifiable with how naturally it blends into the rest of his sleek locks.

It's beautiful.

"Loki? What are you doing here?" You stick your head out into the hallway, noticing there are no guards anywhere. "Please tell me you didn't lose your guards again. You saw what happened yesterday," you say firmly, giving him a reproachful, sleepy stare.

Loki looks down at you, his eye caressing your bare shoulder for only a moment before speaking, completely ignoring the second half of your statement and addressing only the first question.

"I have thought on your request and I am in agreement. You would benefit from basic riding lessons. And seeing as I'm the best rider in the realm, it is only natural the job fall to me," he says with a smirk.

You're stunned. You don't know what to say.

"Right now?" you ask.

"No. I was thinking perhaps next week, or even better, next month," he purrs, sarcasm dripping like honey from every word.

"Okay ha ha very funny. I'll be right out," you say.

Shutting the door, you lean against it for a moment, a smile crawling across your face as you excitedly run and jump on your bed.

Taking a few deep breaths to calm down, you pull your nightgown from your head and twist your silver bracelet, allowing your tactical suit to materialize over your body. You haven't worn it in some time, and it feels good to be back in it.

Heading to the mirror, you braid your hair once more, down the side like always, and thread through Loki's golden ribbon. He's already seen it, so what's the harm?

Sliding on your combat boots, you dash to the door and throw it open, finding Loki leaning lazily against the wall opposite your chamber door. As you step into the hallway, you use your seidr to freshen up, and calm the fly-aways in your braid.

"Seems I taught you a few tricks over the years," Loki says, cocking one brow as he watches you use your seidr.

"More than you know, Mischief," you smile.

You feel his eyes travel slowly up and down your body, following the curves of your tight, form-fitting suit as he grins at your impetuousness.

"Well?" you say. "Are we going? Or are you just going to stare at me all day," you tease.

Loki scoffs and rolls his eyes, pushing off the wall and making his way towards the stairs. But you caught the pink in the tips of his ears and blush yourself, following closely behind as he leads you out of the palace and to the stables.

"You will ride no other horse but Trygve until you have learned to bond with the animal you command. Understand?" he asks you forcefully.