Chapter 38 - Girls' Day Out

"Come on honey, our appointment is at noon!" you hear Pepper call from down the hall.

You frantically run around your room, pulling on your jeans and buttoning up your blouse. A series of rapid knocks at your door causes you to hop on one leg, kicking it open as you pull your shoe on your other foot.

"Come on, Y/n!" says Nat eagerly, standing in your doorway. "We're going to be late!"

"I know I'm sorry! I just need two minutes! I'll meet you in the garage!"

Nat lets out a groan and runs down the hall to meet Pepper as you lace up your sneakers and check the mirror one last time.

"You look wonderful darling, stop fussing with your appearance," calls out Loki from the bathroom, where he's bathing Anthony. He can't see you, but you know he can tell from the general shuffling sounds of distress exactly what's going on in the bedroom.

You quickly run in and are surprised to find Loki dressed in standard black jeans and an open black, green and gold robe with his hair pulled back - a few messy runaway strands framing his face. He sits precariously on the edge of the tub washing soap from your toddler's long, dark locks while holding one hand over Anthony's little eyes to prevent water from running into them. 

You lean down and give Loki a quick peck on the cheek as Anthony squeals and splashes.

Loki places a green forcefield around the top of the water, preventing the boy from slipping further in. He stands and tucks a piece of hair behind your ear. 

"Have fun today, elskling. You deserve to have a nice time with your mother," he smiles, taking your hand and placing a kiss in your palm.

"And you are a saint for bathing our son. You know I struggle using water that cold," you say. A shiver runs down your spine just thinking about plunging your hands into the freezing cold water that Anthony likes in his baths.

Loki lets out a low chuckle as you smooth back his hair. "I am a god, elskede. Not a saint," he says teasingly, kissing your neck.

"Well this god may have just found a new style...I like the low ponytail," you grin. "Very sexy."

"I'll keep that in mind," Loki says with a mischievous grin.

"And be nice to Clint today," you say. "He agreed to watch Anthony so you could run Steve's healing session."

Loki rolls his eyes and places his forehead to yours, rubbing the tips of your noses together.

"If I must, elskede."

"Yes," you laugh. "You must."

You snuggle into Loki's arms for a moment, pressing your ear to his chest to listen to his slow and steady heartbeat. But you feel your cheeks grow warm as your mind floats back to the conversation you had overheard between Loki and Tony in the library.