Chapter 84 - As It Should Be

"Banished!" you shout, pacing the floor of your chambers. "Can you believe that? Out of all the words he'd use I can NOT believe he banished me," you snarl.

"It's not a true banishment, my lady," Thor says meekly from from the chair near your window. 

"Oh really?" you hiss, stopping your pacing and tilting your head to glare at Thor. "Then what would you call him forcibly removing me from his bedside, tossing me into the hallway, and putting up a magical barrier while saying 'consider yourself banished from the healing ward'? Hmm, Thor? What would you call that?"

"A banishment," Thor mumbles under his breath.

"A BANISHMENT!" you shout back.

"Sister, please," says Thor, rising slowly and approaching you as you stand cross-armed and angry a few paces away. "He just wants you to take time alone today. To make sure you're really thinking about your decision without influence. You only have until dusk."

"There's nothing to think about! My mind is made up! Besides, I had less than twenty four hours with him, Thor. Less than twenty four hours to spend with him after I thought he died. Hel, after I thought I died! And most of that time he was in healing sessions!" you shout. "And then he kicks me out?! ARGH!" roaring in anger, you turn to the wall and drive your fist straight through it.

Shocked by your own action, you pull your hand from the crater now in the solid stone wall and look at it for a moment, surprised it doesn't hurt. 

Thor stares at you, wide-eyed, before letting out a sigh and coming over to inspect your hand. Thanks to your immortality you're stronger than you used to be, and punching through the wall took less effort than ripping a tissue.

"You must think about Loki, my lady," Thor says, dropping your hand once satisfied you haven't even so much as scraped it. 

"I am thinking about him, Thor," you argue. "He's the reason I want this!"

"No, that's...that's not what I am trying to say," says Thor, looking pensive as he steps back to the chair, settling in and bringing his fingers together, resting them on his top lip as he thinks.

You watch him quietly, patiently, as he organizes his thoughts.

"My brother and I have lived for many, many years," he finally says. "More than you can truly understand."

Your gaze narrows as Thor speaks quietly and intentionally. Choosing his words carefully.

 "Throughout our years, we have traveled the realms. We have made friends...and we have watched them die. Time and time again. A never ending cycle."

You take a seat on the small bench at the end of your bed, listening to Thor as he speaks.

"He and I have both experienced how hard it is to lose those we care about to age, my lady. It is a painful experience, and the only time I have ever truly felt helpless," says Thor, his brow furrowing. "I know you think you understand what awaits you with this blessing, little sister. But you cannot possibly appreciate the emotional trials that are to come with it. And Loki is...well, I believe him to be fearful."