Chapter 64 - Slipping

Eggs. Sausages. Dark berries. Toast. 

You try and pull your thoughts as far away as possible from your strange conversation with the Allfather as you clutch Loki's breakfast tray in your hands, cataloguing the foods neatly lead out on silver plates.

But as you make your way down the halls, you can't help but think on Odin's kindness. His gentleness. The sincerity in his voice and the pained look of conflict in his eyes as he evaluated your once damaged wrist. 

Perhaps Amora's hold on him had been stronger than you thought.

Or perhaps Loki is more like his father than either man would care to admit.

Descending the stairs to the dungeons, you quietly make your way to Loki's cell and spot him laying on his back in his bed, tossing a silver goblet up and down. 

He lifts his head slightly as he hears you approach but doesn't bother standing, choosing instead to watch from a distance as you lower the barrier and make your way to him.

As you set down the tray, you realize how deep in thought you have been. So consumed in replaying Odin's words, you forgot to cast the warming enchantment you usually place on his food. A small courtesy, but one that you have control over. Your small way to provide him as much comfort and love as you can without crossing the line.

Holding your hand briefly above his tray, your seidr glows an icy blue in your palm. As you lower it, small tendrils of steam begin to rise from the eggs and sausages.

"What did you just do?" asks Loki, sitting up straight and casting a curious glance between you and the tray.

"Warming enchantment," you say quietly, giving Loki a soft smile before turning to leave. 

You see him three times a day, and you know you'll be back in a few hours for lunch. But right now, you need some time to think. Some space to breathe.

"So few words today, mortal."

Almost to the edge of the platform, you stop only a few paces away from the cell's control panel. You turn to look back at the raven-haired god who now stands, and has plucked a berry from his tray, popping it in his mouth. 

"I'm sorry?" you say, confused.

Loki's eyes scan his trey once more and he grabs another berry, popping it in his mouth and chewing slowly before turning to face you. He watches you intently as he takes a few slow, deliberate steps towards you, hands clasped behind his back.

"You generally try to engage me in idle conversation during your unnecessarily numerous visits to me each day," Loki croons, now directly in front of you. He begins circling you slowly as a smile spreads across his face. "Yet now you remain silent."

You say nothing as you simply watch Loki circle back to the front of you, his green eyes trained on yours, narrowing slightly as he grins.