Chapter 87 - Caught

The low buzzing of whispers and excited chatter in the room lays like a thick blanket of white noise as you look down at your raven-haired god, kneeling before you. Every moment that passes a small hint of desperation and fear growing within his emerald gaze.

"Yes," you say quietly. "Yes, Lo, yes...of course!" you choke out between stifled sobs.

You nod your head fervently as Loki exhales in relief. Reaching for your hand and pulling the ring from its box, he slides it on your finger and stands, reaching eagerly for your cheek and pulling you into a kiss.

The moment your lips meet his, the crowd erupts in cheers and claps. But you can't hear them as the only thing you can hear is Loki's voice in your head as his smiling lips are on yours.

I caught you, elskede.

"I suppose you did, trickster," you laugh out loud through the tears on your cheeks as Anthony's little arm is wrapped around your neck.

Not even a moment later your entire family has rushed the platform as the musicians begin playing once more.

Thor gets to you first, wrapping his arms around your waist as he picks you up, spinning you around in the air.

"Easy Thor!" you laugh as he sets you down gently.

"You will be royalty, my lady!" Thor babbles excitedly. "I have always wanted a sister!"

"You've had a sister, dummy," you say, playfully punching his arm.

"Aye, in heart. But now in bond!" Thor cheers, kissing your cheek before stepping aside to let Pepper take you in her arms as Tony walks up to Loki and slaps him on the back.

"It's about damn time, Mischief," you hear him say as Pepper holds you close.

"Are you happy, honey?" Pepper asks, tears welling up in her gaze.

"Yeah, mom. I'm really, really happy," you answer.

Pepper wipes away the tears that sit on the pillows of your cheeks as she takes Anthony from you. She and Tony switch places.

Pepper holds open her arms, inviting Loki in for a hug. You expect him to decline, and are thrilled when he does not hesitate to fully embrace her. She whispers something to him you cannot hear, but you notice the pink tinge in the tips of his ears as she pulls away.

"Congratulations, squirt," Tony says, pulling you in tightly. "But you know I'm still willing to kill him if I need to, right? You just let me know, and..." Tony trails off, dragging one finger across his throat.

"Dad, cut it out!" you laugh.

Pepper looks over Tony's shoulder, admiring your ring for a moment as Tony winks at Loki.

"Told you she'd love it," he says quietly. But you catch it, and arch one brow at the two men. Of course they were in leagues with one another.

"All right move over! My turn. Show me the ring, girl!" calls out Natasha, roughly shoving Tony aside.

Pepper places your hand in Natasha's and retreats with Anthony and Tony back to the feast table, giving you space with the rest of the family. Nat lets out a whistle as she twists your hand slightly, watching as the light glimmers and reflects off the perfectly cut emerald.