*Chapter 39 - On Display*

Arriving back at the tower, you bid goodbye to Nat who quickly cozies up to Bruce's side as he works on something in the lab. Pepper gives you a motherly hug before going to return a few calls she had missed up in her office in the private apartment.

Feeling a bit tired, you decide to forego teleportation and wander around the tower like a normal person. And you're glad you do, as you run into Clint as you step off the elevator in the main hall.

"Hey Y/n!" he calls out cheerfully.

"Barton!" you say, closing the distance between you and pulling him into a tight, warm hug. You had seen him on wing night, but hadn't gotten any time alone with him as he had quickly disappeared after dinner to avoid Loki's presence.

"I gotta say, I love that kid of yours," Clint says with a smile, ruffling your hair. "Even if he does look a hell of a lot like his dad."

"Thanks, Hawk," you laugh. "Where is he? Aren't you supposed to have him?" you ask, slightly concerned.

"Your boyfriend finished up Cap's healing session about half an hour ago so I handed him off. Not sure where they went off to, but my guess is if you can find Thor, you'll find them."

You wrinkle your brow, confused. Loki usually did his best to stay away from Thor.

"Thor? Why?" you ask.

"No idea. Seemed weird to me too. But looked like the little green magician wanted to talk to him about something and Thor wasn't really interested in having the conversation."

You growl suspiciously. Something's up.

"Okay, thanks Barton."

"No problem. I'm sorry it took me so long to get here."

"Hey, I've got a kid now too. I get it," you say with a laugh as Clint places a giant hand on your shoulder. He squeezes gently before strolling away, hands in his pockets.

You cast a glance down the hallway towards Steve's quarters. You want to check in on him, but your curiosity has been piqued. Why would Loki actively seek out Thor? And what could he possible want to talk about that Thor would shy away from? If anything it should be the other way around.

You hesitate for a moment before stepping into the elevator to head towards the library. But Loki isn't there. You check the training room, Anthony's bedroom, the lab, the pool, and the movie theatre but nothing.

"JARVIS, where's Loki?"

You call out, growing frustrated.

"On the balcony, Miss."

"Is he with Thor?"

"Yes, Miss."

Interesting, you think to yourself.

Teleporting up to the balcony, you peer out the glass doors and spot Thor and Loki leaning against the railing, looking out over the city. You place one hand on the door handle, but stop.

You shouldn't eavesdrop. You had already accidentally overheard one private conversation of Loki's. It isn't right.

But you can't help yourself. Slowly and quietly opening the door you hang back, straining to hear their conversation. Fortunately the breeze is light, allowing you to catch nearly every word.

"I have agreed to speak with you, brother. Not submit myself to inquisition."

"So dramatic, Thor, really. It's a simple question: have you told her of your past with the witch?"