chapter 007 - a few good men

may had heard from elena that sheila passed because the spell was too intense for her.

after getting some breakfast, may went back to the house and she could hear music before entering the house.

once she entered, she saw damon dancing around with a bunch of half naked college girls.

"so this is how you grieve?" may asked him.

she felt her cravings hitting her when she saw the bit marks on the girls.

"we're vampires may, we can grieve anyway we want." damon said as may scoffed.

"you don't have to educate me, damon." may said.

damon went back to dancing around and drinking booze while may stared a bit too much at the blood on the girls necks.

she let out a sigh and decided to go over to the grill to get a drink.

she sat at the bar and felt her knee moving up and down quickly.

"bourbon, please." may told the bartender.

the bartender filled up a glass in front of her and she thanked him.

may was never the type of vampire to go out and feed on innocent humans. lexi had been one of her biggest inspirations, she taught her how to keep in control.

even though she was 406 years old, she had never forgotten what it was like to be human. she longed for those days.

"day drinking?" she heard someone ask and she turned to see stefan.

"well, with damon acting out i figured it would be best for some of us to keep our cool. and this..." may said holding her glass up.

"is my cool." may said before downing her drink.

"so, you remember how alaric was telling us about how damon killed his wife?" stefan said talking quietly.

"yes." may replied as she motioned for the bartender to give her another drink.

"well, elena is looking for her birth mother and while her aunt jenna was doing research she found out her name." stefan said.

"oh, that's great. what does that have to do with alaric's... oh, my god. you're not saying what i think you're saying?" may asked looking at stefan as he nodded his head.

"elena's birth mother's name is isobel." stefan said.

"so, damon killed elena's birth mother?" may asked.

"that's what i wanna find out." stefan replied.

-

may went to the grill for a charity auction and she laughed when she saw damon was on the list.

"hey, may. are you buying a ticket?" caroline asked her.

"oh, no. i'm just here to be entertained." may replied.

she went to go sit in the audience with her drink in hand and she saw stefan walk into the grill.

may saw stefan wave at elena. she could tell elena made him really happy and not in the way katherine did.

"and last but not least, damon salvatore. we don't have much on you." carol lockwood said announcing the last bachelor.

"well, i'm tough to fit on a card." damon replied.

"do you have any hobbies? like to travel?" carol asked him.

"oh, yeah. l.a., new york. couple years ago i was in north carolina. near the duke campus, actually. i think alaric went to school there. didn't you, rick? yeah, because i know your wife did. i had a drink with her once. she was, phew. she was a great girl. did i ever tell you that? because she was... delicious. mm! mm mm mm." damon said.

may's eyes widened after hearing him say that and she saw elena rush out, stefan going after her a few seconds later.

-

after may and stefan returned home, they saw alaric on the floor and damon sitting on a chair drinking.

"what happened? what did you do?" stefan asked.

may couldn't hear his heart beating, he was dead.

"do what? he attacked me." damon said as stefan let out a breath.

"maybe because you killed his wife." may said.

"damon." stefan said.

"all i did was tell him the truth. his wife didn't want him anymore. not my fault he couldn't handle it." damon said sipping on his drink.

"like you've been handling katherine?" stefan said.

"i'm handling it fine. you know what? isobel came to me. she found me. and if she's related to elena, that means she's related to katherine. maybe katherine sent her to me." damon said.

"you're delusional." may told him.

"stop it. you don't have to keep looking." stefan told his older brother.

"it can't be a coincidence that isobel sought me out. mm mm it can't. i assume one of you will take care of this?" damon said before he got up.

may and stefan just sat by alaric's body processing what had just happened.

suddenly, alaric's fingers started moving making may's eyes widen.

"did you just see that?" may asked stefan as he nodded.

alaric let out a gasp and he was alive again.

"what happened? what's going on?" alaric asked.

"you were just... did damon turn you?" stefan asked him.

"no, i, uh... i went for him, and then he, uh... he stabbed me." alaric said.

"that's impossible." may said.

"no, you must have vampire blood in your system. somebody slipped it to you." stefan said trying to make sense of things.

"no, it's... it's something else." alaric insisted.

"then how?" stefan asked him.

"you literally just came back from the dead, that's not an everyday occurrence." may said.

"i... isobel." alaric said looking down at the ring on his finger.

may looked at his ring and it rang a bell in her mind. an immortality ring.

"this ring protected me." alaric said.

"that's impossible." stefan said.

"i know." alaric replied.

"it's not." may said making the ground men look at her.

"what are you talking about?" stefan asked her.

"in all my years on this earth, i'd heard rumors of a ring that protects humans from supernatural deaths. the witches thought it wasn't fair that humans would be killed by supernaturals so they created a way for them to come back. that ring protected you." may said in amazement.