chapter 017 - kill or be killed

while stefan and caroline were at a party at the swimming hole, they were attacked by a werewolf who they assumed was mason lockwood.

elena and damon learned that if a vampire was bitten by a werewolf it could be fatal for the vampire.

stefan had tied katherine down in the basement to learn what she knew about werewolves.

elena and stefan also decided to make everyone believe that they had broken up but may knew it was just to trick katherine.

only may knew that it was fake but since katherine was getting caroline to snoop for her, they needed to trick her as well.

may, damon and stefan were at the historical society's volunteer day.

she was standing beside a tree while she ate a muffin that was at the food table.

she couldn't help but look at mason lockwood.

"you stalking him?" stefan asked as he came to stand beside her.

"i just can't picture him being human one second and than turning into a wolf." may said to him as stefan let out a sigh.

"well, caroline and i saw him and tyler was able to get him to leave us alone." stefan said.

"i don't trust him. i mean, i know damon tried to hurt him, which, is just damon being himself but i feel like there's a reason he's here other than his brothers passing." may said.

they saw damon go up to talk to mason making stefan let out a sigh and the two of them went to see if damon was behaving.

"please tell me that you were just bonding." stefan said.

"we know you don't behave well with others, damon." may said.

"so, what's up with this, um, faux drama in your relationship?" damon asked changing the subject.

"what are you talking about?" stefan asked.

"oh, come on, stefan. you and elena don't fight. especially not over me." damon said.

"drop it, damon." stefan told him as damon smirked.

"with pleasure." damon said as he turned to the girl at the lemonade stand.

"would you like some lemonade?" the girl asked.

"thank you, sweetie." damon said taking the cup of lemonade.

he took a gulp but immediately spit it out and started choking.

"damon?" may asked seeing he was holding his throat.

"what's wrong with you?" stefan asked as he helped damon sit down.

"vervain. vervain." damon said in a weak voice.

stefan picked up the cup of lemonade to smell it and it definitely was laced with vervain.

"i think mason had something to do with this." may said looking around to see that he was watching.

damon got up to get a bottle of water making stefan and may follow him.

"oh, it burns." damon said gargling the water and spitting it out.

"i'm gonna kill him." damon said talking about mason.

"damon." may said trying to stop him from walking away.

"no." stefan said pushing damon back.

"no more mr. nice guy." damon said in frustration.