chapter 055 - before sunset

may met up with stefan and klaus at the school while damon and bonnie waited at the house.

bonnie contacted her mom since she was the one who took down mikael the first time.

"i'm here." may said as stefan got a text.

"abby just showed up." stefan said.

"good. perhaps this plan won't be an epic failure after all. you know, if this does go off and we drop the history teacher in the atlantic i'm still leaving with elena." klaus said.

"i'll go with you." stefan said.

"you'll what?" may asked him.

"really? what's the catch?" klaus asked him.

"there's no catch. i'd turn my back on everything here to make sure elena's safe." stefan said.

"and that is what makes you her better option. it's a shame it's not easier for elena to see that. i mean, personally i think she's wasting her time with damon." klaus said as stefan grinned.

"you know, all this time and energy you've spent trying to get me and my brother to hate each other it's actually had the opposite effect." stefan said.

"heh, heh. has it? has it really? then perhaps i should let elena decide which salvatore joins us? being as you and damon are so close." klaus said.

"ah, go for it. damon and i have been through a hell of a lot worse than you." stefan said before he walked away.

"in other words, suck it." may said before she went with stefan.

-

damon, bonnie and jeremy were at the school so they went to talk to them.

"look at this, one big happy family." klaus said.

"drink this, it's my blood. it bridges us all together so that when i stop jeremy's heart, you'll have the power to stop alaric's. you need to make a physical connection to his bloodstream. a vein, artery, something connected to his heart." bonnie explained as they all took a sip of her blood from the bottle.

"if one of us gets a clean shot, take it. the other three hold him down." stefan said.

"i guess that's as good a plan as any." may said.

"before we all walk through these doors, let's get on the same page, shall we? i was the one who created your vampire bloodline, therefore i am responsible for your lives, and tyler's life, caroline's life and, of course, abby's life, should anything go wrong." klaus said.

"or you're just lying to save your ass." damon said.

"i'm not lying. but go ahead, call my bluff. let the teacher kill me, you'll all be dead soon thereafter." klaus said.

"well, i hate gambling so." may said.

"let's just get this over with. shall we?" stefan said before the vampires entered the high school.

-

when they got into the school, caroline had escaped and klaus told her to get home.

alaric had elena by the throat in the hallway and when may saw him, she grabbed him as hard as she could.

"you're gonna regret that." alaric said before may smirked.

"am i?" may asked before stefan and damon appeared, grabbing his arms.

"do it, now." damon said before alaric pushed the two of them off of him.

alaric snapped stefan and damon's neck before he looked at may.

may quickly grabbed him with all her strength and klaus ran over, showing his fingers in alaric's chest.

alaric grabbed klaus' hand and pushed him off. may let out a gasp and alaric grabbed her throat.

may tried getting alaric off of her but he snapped her neck.

alaric went after klaus again, trying to stake him but elena showed up.

"stop! let him go, or i'll kill myself." elena said with a scalpel up to her neck.

"put it down, elena." alaric said.

"why? because you still need me alive? there's a reason why esther used me to make you, isn't there? she didn't want you to be immortal, so she tied your life to a human one. mine. that way you have only one lifespan to kill all vampires and then you'll be gone. so when i die, you die too. that's it. it has to be." elena said.

"you're wrong." alaric told her.

"am i?" elena asked before she started cutting into her neck.

"stop! stop! stop!" alaric said before klaus and elena disappeared.

-

may and damon finally woke back up and damon could hear his phone ringing.

"why am i still alive?" damon asked.

"i was just wondering the same thing." may said.

"get up." alaric told them as stefan woke up.

"can't a girl get a moment to stretch?" may asked.

"i said get up. klaus is gonna kill elena." alaric said.

"what?" damon asked.

"what are you talking about? klaus needs elena's blood to make hybrids. she's the last person that he'd kill." stefan said.

"the witch bound my life to elena's. if she dies, i die. klaus figured that out and now he's taken her. now, i'm trapped her until the sun goes down. so you three better get doing what you do best, saving elena's life." alaric said before he walked away from them.

-

stefan, damon and may showed up at klaus' house just as tyler was trying to free elena.

when tyler tried to free her, elena hit her head and passed out.

klaus grabbed tyler and tried to kill him but before he could, damon and may grabbed klaus while stefan put his fingers in his chest.

klaus was getting weaker and weaker until suddenly he started to decay.

damon went to grab elena and she had woken up after he picked her up.

klaus finally fell limp and tyler set him on the ground.

"we should get her home before the sun sets." stefan said as damon nodded. 

after that, damon and stefan took elena back home where alaric wouldn't be able to get to her.

may waited in the car while the guys walked elena to the door. the three vampires were going to dump klaus' body.