chapter 041 - the end of the affair

they went to stefan's old apartment in chicago to see if he had been there.

"stefan could live anywhere in chicago and he chose this?" elena asked seeing the boring apartment building.

"he had a reason." may trailed off.

"there used to be an all girls high school around the corner but it shut down for attendance issues. weird." damon said.

"if you're trying to scare me into giving up and going back, it's not gonna work." elena told him as damon shushed her.

damon ripped the door handle off and the entered the abandoned apartment.

"here we are. stefan's second personality home." damon said.

"well, you didn't have to say it that way." may told him.

"he obviously hasn't been here." elena said as she saw the dusty walls.

"tour's not over yet." damon said as he moved the pantry which was revealed to be a door to a wine cellar.

"stefan hid his alcohol. what a monster." elena said.

"look harder." damon said as elena went inside.

"it's a list of names." elena said seeing the wall was covered in them.

may knew what that list was. it was a list of his victims.

"mm hm." damon said letting elena process.

"are these all of his victims?" elena asked as her mouth gaped open.

"still handling it?" damon asked her.

"what were you doing in the 1920s, paving the way for women's liberation?" elena asked damon.

"i was around. chicago's a big city. stefan was a cocky ripper douche but i could avoid him and still indulge in a few daisy buchanans of my own." damon told her.

"ugh. where are you going?" elena asked when she saw damon was walking towards the door.

"his old stomping ground." damon said.

"i'm coming with you." elena said.

"no. you stay here and whip up an actual plan. may and i will come back when we find him." damon said as may rolled her eyes.

"why do i have to come?" may asked as she followed behind damon, closing the door to the apartment.

"because you've been way too quiet, i know you were in chicago in 1922. what were you doing there?" damon asked her.

"i was watching stefan from afar because lexi wanted me to report back to her. lexi was off elsewhere helping another vampire so she sent me to watch over stefan." may said.

-

damon and may went to the bar of their old witch friend gloria.

"well, look what the wind blew in. may wilkins herself and damon salvatore. last i heard, you hated this place." gloria said.

"hello, gloria. nice to see you again." may said.

"gloria? damn. if i knew you were gonna age like this, i would've stuck around." damon said.

"ha, ha. i always did like you better. but i see you brother is still running in the wrong crowd." gloria said.

"you've seen him?" damon asked.

"with klaus. bad combo." gloria said.