chapter 042 - disturbing behavior

may went to the mystic falls cook out and she saw all the chili on the table.

she cringed and she grabbed a glass of wine instead and a bread roll.

"what's wrong? british people don't eat chili?" damon asked as he walked up to her.

"no, i don't eat chili. don't make it a british thing. shouldn't you be off trying to flirt with elena somewhere?" may said to him.

may had been noticing that damon was going over to elena's a lot. he went to her house this morning to help her make chili.

"now, why does everyone think i'm trying to steal my brothers girl?" damon asked.

"maybe because you are trying to steal your brothers girl." may said before she walked away from him.

at the end of the night, may met up with caroline and elena. they told may how elena's necklace had been spelled.

"did stefan ever tell you where he got the necklace?" caroline asked as may stayed quiet.

"no, and i never asked. hopefully bonnie will be able to figure it out. " elena said.

"please tell me it's time to go." alaric said walking up to the girls.

"beyond. where's damon?" elena asked.

"probably off somewhere doing bad things to good people. consider me the honesty police." caroline said.

"i've always liked the honestly police." may said as caroline smiled at her.

they all saw caroline's smile drop when she looked ahead of her.

"what is it?" elena and alaric asked.

"it's my dad." caroline mumbled.

caroline had recently gotten kidnapped by her dad and he tried to convert her mind from being a vampire.

"why would he show up here?" elena asked.

"i don't know. but i can't..." caroline began.

"i get it. i'll call you later." elena told her.

"okay." caroline said before she walked away.

"okay, what was that all about?" alaric asked.

"speaking of doing bad things to good people." elena said as the three of them walked.

"wait, houston, we have a problem." damon said running up to the group.

"where have you been?" elena asked him.

"managing bill forbes. apparently he's impervious to compulsion." damon said.

"he's what?" may asked since she'd never heard of that before.

"how?" alaric asked.

"i have no idea. but he threatened to out me. don't get me started on the irony of that." damon said.

"what'd you do to him? how do you know the compulsion doesn't work." elena asked.

"that's not the most important piece of information i've mentioned, elena." damon said.

"well, what does he want?" alaric asked.

"he wants to control the council. says it's been compromised." damon said.

"it has." alaric said.

"he wants to put vervain in the town's water supply." damon said.

"maybe it's not a bad idea. it will help you keep yourself in control now that stefan's not here to..." elena began but damon cut her off.

"to what? to keep me in check? make me behave? i should've killed him this morning." damon said.

"okay, let's not shout that." may said.

"he's carolines dad, damon." elena said.

"yeah, and when i kill him, she'll have one more parent than we do." damon said.

"oh, come on, damon." alaric said standing in front of damon.

"you're repeatedly killing my buzz today, ric. step aside." damon told him.

"yeah, it's not gonna happen." alaric said placing a hand on damon's chest.

"your temporary funeral." damon said before he snapped alaric's neck.

may let out a gasp but she saw that alaric was wearing the gilbert ring.

"damon, no! what is wrong with you?" elena asked him before he walked away.

-

may got texts from bonnie telling her to get to the school. klaus had found out that elena was alive and he was planning to turn tyler into a hybrid.

may got in her car and raced to the school. once she got there, she was walking through the parking lot and she saw stefan.

he was unconscious on the ground. he also had a crowbar in his stomach.

"stefan?" may said pulling the crowbar out.

"hello, there." may heard which made her turn around.

"who the hell are you?" may asked her.

"i'm rebekah mikaelson, i'm sure you've heard of me. i know you're, mabel, elijah told me about you." rebekah said before may grabbed rebekah by the throat.

she shoved rebekah against the brick wall making her chuckle.

"you're pretty strong, but not strong enough." rebekah said before she pushed may off of her and snapped her neck.

that was the last thing may remembered before everything went dark.

-

"may?" she heard and she felt herself being stirred awake.

she opened her eyes slowly and she saw caroline and tyler were standing over her.

"tyler? you're alive. what happened?" may asked.

"klaus turned tyler into a hybrid with elena's blood. damon's with elena but stefan he..." caroline began but may cut her off.

"where is he caroline?" may asked.

"klaus compelled him to turn off his humanity." caroline said as may took a moment to process.

it felt like every time she was close to getting him back, something else happened.

when may got back home, damon told her about his road trip with katherine.

katherine and damon got jeremy to talk to anna's ghost to figure out a way to kill klaus. they finally had a lead.

a vampire who was also a vampire hunter named mikael.

may walked into the living room to have a drink. she saw damon and elena were starring at the hallway and may noticed that stefan was there.

"what is he doing here?" may asked.

"klaus is gone, but he asked me to keep watch on you until he returns. from now on, you're under my protection." stefan said looking at elena.

"under you're protection?" may asked as stefan nodded and drank from his whiskey glass.

"hmm. by all means. carry on." stefan said gesturing to damon and elena before he walked out of the house.