chapter 040 - the hybrid

the four of them had been walking for a little while and damon looked over at elena.

"how you doing?" damon asked her.

"fine." elena replied.

"you know, i can help you." damon told her.

"no, thanks." elena replied.

"just one little whoosh." damon said as he lifted his arms.

"yeah, with my luck, you'd drop me." elena said.

"what are you guys, 12?" alaric asked.

"yeah, seriously? let's just stop talking and do more walking." may said as they kept walking uphill.

"we've got about a mile left." alaric said.

"the sun's about to set." damon said.

"i can see that, damon." elena told him.

"i'm just saying." damon replied.

"well, i'd rather not get into a werewolf fight tonight either." may said.

"the moon doesn't reach its apex for a while. we have time." elena said.

they kept walking but once they heard a branch snap in the distance, they stopped.

alaric pointed his bow an arrow at a guy who was making his way towards them. may noticed he was bleeding out of his eyes.

"stay where you are." alaric told him.

the guy stared between may and damon making may nervous.

"vampires." the guy said before he tried tackling damon.

damon held him by the neck to try to avoid being bitten and alaric shot him with an arrow. the arrow didn't do anything so elena grabbed a wolfsbane grenade from her bag.

"damon." elena said tossing it to him.

when damon caught it, it blew up in the werewolfs face which made him fall to his knees.

damon kicked him down and he was passed out on the ground.

"let me guess. hybrid." alaric said.

"klaus is hunting werewolves to make hybrids like him." may explained.

they grabbed the unconscious werewolf and tied him to a tree with chains and rope.

"these ropes aren't gonna hold him much longer. what else do we have?" damon asked.

"ric, here, take these." elena said.

damon went to grab ropes from elena but immediately pulled his hand back after it burned him. elena had just put vervain on the ropes.

"i said ric." elena told him.

"all right, that's the last of the vervain. we don't have enough stuff to hold him. i don't think we're gonna make that ridge before the full moon." alaric said.

"if we can get him to talk, we don't have to." elena said.

"be careful, elena." may said as elena went to wake up the werewolf.

he let out a gasp and he started to break the bones in his body.

"is he turning?" damon asked.

"impossible. it's still daylight." elena said.

"tell him that." alaric said.

"it must be the affects of klaus turning him into a hybrid." may said.