chapter 068 - down the rabbit hole

the sun had come back up but no one had returned

the sun had come back up but no one had returned. damon, bonnie, jeremy and shane were still missing.

elena called caroline to tell her about what was going on.

"tell me you're not serious." caroline said.

may realized that once she became human, she would no longer be able to listen in on people's phone calls. even though she would be losing some abilities, she still wanted to be human.

"i wish i weren't. when we got back from looking for jeremy, shane and bonnie were both gone, too. shane needs bonnie to cast a spell on jeremy's tattoo in order to find the cure, and he managed to sneak them both out from under our noses." elena said.

"well, where's damon in all this?" caroline asked her.

"we had an argument. i thought he was just taking a walk, but then when we went to the beach, we saw signs of a struggle." elena replied.

"meaning what?" caroline wondered.

"meaning somebody probably jumped him and then grabbed him." elena told her.

"do you think shane took him?" caroline suggested.

"no, i mean, he's not strong enough to take damon on, even with the element of surprise. he must have someone or at least a few someones helping him." elena said.

"god, i am so sorry. i wish i was there to help." caroline told her.

"well, maybe there's something you can do from home." elena said.

"anything. tell me." caroline replied.

"so shane's looking for the cure. we think we can find him. we have pictures of jeremy's tattoo, but we just can't translate the map." elena explained.

"unless you get the hunter's sword from klaus." caroline said drawing the conclusion.

"exactly." elena said.

"he'll never give up that sword." rebekah said.

"yeah, but if anyone is gonna get him to give it up, it's caroline." stefan said.

"he will never give up that sword, not even for caroline. he's terrified we'll use the cure against him to make him mortal, and even if he wasn't, he wouldn't want any of us to derive a moments worth of happiness from being human." rebekah said.

"never say never." may said.

"well, maybe he doesn't have to give it up. i mean, klaus is stuck in elena's house by bonnie's spell. he can't go anywhere. there's only so many places you can hide a 3 foot piece of metal." stefan said.

"good thinking, stefan." may said.

"i'll find it. don't worry. just email me photos of jeremy's tattoo. i'll find the sword and i'll call you back." caroline said after hearing what stefan said.

"thank you, caroline." elena said.

"bye." caroline said before she hung up the phone.

-

elena, stefan, may and rebekah were walking through the woods.

"what did caroline say?" elena asked rebekah.

"i don't know. we lost the signal. come on. this way." rebekah said.

caroline had called rebekah after they translated the map and sent her the information.

the gang stopped in front of a cliff with water at the bottom.

"don't tell me we have to swim across?" may joked.

"we me to get down and across. advantage, vampires. all we have to do is jump." rebekah said.

"wait, wait. um... maybe you should leave the map behind. in case you fall, you don't want anything to happen to the phone." elena said.

"are we doing this, again? i thought we were a team." rebekah said.

"guys, we don't have time for this. elena, you go first. we'll be right behind you." stefan told her.

elena jumped down to the bottom and before stefan could, rebekah stopped him.

"there's something you should know about the cure." rebekah said.

rebekah told them that klaus said there is only one dose of the cure. that made may's heart sink.

"so you're sure that klaus is telling the truth, that there is only one dose of the cure?" stefan asked as rebekah nodded.

"lovely." may mumbled.

"well, i guess that's what happens when you're dumb enough to hold out hope." stefan said.

"there's still hope for one of us, but even if i felt pity for you, if i wanted to ease your pain so i gave you the cure to take for yourself, you'd give it to elena, wouldn't you? that's what i thought. well, i'm sorry that it couldn't work out the way we all wanted it to." rebekah said before snapping stefan's neck.

"bloody hell." may said before she jumped down to find elena.

-

once stefan was awake again, he got some blood into him and they told elena the news.

"there's only one cure? i can't take it. i mean, not above everyone else who deserves it just as much as i do." elena said.

"like me." may said.

"may, you were gonna take the cure?" elena asked her.

"i have always secretly resented being a vampire. i miss the simple things of being human. i miss what it's like to actually live. even if we got to the cure, you deserve far more than i do, elena." may told her with a smile.

"it's over." elena said.

"i'm sorry." stefan said.

"don't be. maybe it's a blessing in disguise." elena said.

"how so?" stefan asked her.

"things changed the minute that i went off that bridge, stefan. even if i could be human again, i wouldn't be the person that i was. so it's about time that i accept the person that i am now and figure out a way... to start living the rest of my life." elena said.

"the rest of your life... sired to damon." stefan said.

"i guess we'll have to deal with that when i get home. oh, my god... home. klaus. bonnie's spell isn't gonna hold him." elena said.

"oh, no." may said.

"and after what we did to kol, if we don't ram that cure down his throat, he'll kill us all." stefan said.

"pity party over. we have to go." elena said.

"i agree, let's get moving." may said.