chapter 056 - the departed

jeremy called to tell them that he found elena unconscious and he brought her to the hospital.

"you did what?" damon asked him.

"i took her to the hospital. when you find your sister unconscious, you call 911." jeremy said.

"not when you have a parade of vampires at your disposal." damon said.

"she's not safe." may said.

"every remaining original is gonna want elena dead to stop alaric. she's a sitting duck in there." stefan said.

"well, meredith wants to keep her for observation." jeremy said.

"jeremy, get elena home. we're on our way." damon said before he hung up on him.

"have i told you lately how much i appreciate you not being the dumbest brother on earth?" damon said.

"you know one of us needs to keep moving, right? if klaus really is the sire of our bloodline, we need to keep his body hidden before alaric finds him, kills him and we all end up dead." stefan said.

"well, that's a nice thought isn't it?" may said.

"our life is one big proverbial coin toss." damon commented.

stefan ended up going back to help take care of elena. may and damon kept driving with the coffin.

-

stefan called damon when elijah showed up at elena's house.

"all we need is to take that stake away from him. once he's been disarmed the weapon's in my possession, my family will scatter to the ends of the earth and alaric will follow us." elijah said.

"and you'll just run?" stefan asked.

"we've done it before. klaus and rebekah spent the better part of 1000 years evading my father. what's another half century while elena's able to live out her natural life?" elijah asked.

"we finally stopped him, elijah. after everything that he's done to us i can't just let you bring him back." elena told him.

"i give you my word, elena. i will not revive klaus within yours, nor even within your children's lifetimes. perhaps it'll teach him some manners." elijah said.

"why should she trust you? all you've done is screw her over." matt said.

"and for that, i'm ashamed. but know this. she could've been dead the instant i walked through that door tonight. so, elena, i leave it to you to make the decision whether to trust me or not." elijah said.

"not. hello? did that concussion give you brain damage? his lunatic siblings will kill you the first chance they get!" damon said.

"i have to agree with damon here." may said.

"rebekah and kol will honor the terms. if you return klaus' body to us. elena will come to no harm. do we have a deal?" elijah asked.

"no! no, no, no. did i mention no?" damon said.

"elena, it's up to you." stefan said.

"oh, come on!" damon said.

"let the girl make her own choices, damon." may told him.